Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever or can you ? >

Have you ever or can you ?

Have you ever or can you ?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 PM

it is a very small town between ST.Louis and columbia. everyone knows your before you do lol.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:26 PM

I have heard some people use polyester for batting. Never used it myself but sounds like it might work.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:53 PM

When my DH and I married 30+ years ago, my DMIL gave us a polyester quilt we nicknamed the Chastity Quilt. The thing was so heavy and so hot that there was no cuddling allowed before you became a pool of sweat in the bed. We each slept on our side of the bed as far away from the other as possible. But, it was really nice and warm. Over the years, with much washing from lots of use, it has become more pliable and lots softer. My DH and I laugh about this quilt, but it still is one of the most used quilts in our home. Oh, the quilt still looks new, the colors are still vibrant and the fabric still has its patterns. The quilt has lasted forever. Kinda scary!

My DMIL has since passed, but whenever we look at the quilt, my DH and I give each other our secret smiles, shake our heads and think lovingly of his dear mother's wedding present to us.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 PM

My mother in law always used polyester, maybe because she had 10 daughters; when the smallest outgrew the dresses she used the best parts from the dresses to make quilt tops.We have 2 quilts on our bed now she gave us and they are tied, just squares but they have the softest backs and they just drape around us.I love them. Just dont cut your pieces small.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:27 PM

Hi, Mary! What a wonderful gift of your time with making the quilts. I have a suggestion for the fabrics that you may not be so fond of and perhaps choose not to use when making the quilts. If you have any pet shelters in your area, I bet that they would love to receive bedding pads made with those fabrics. My favorite LQS takes the scraps that they get from classes or scraps that customer donate and they make bedding for the local no-kill pet shelter. They piece the tops and bottoms, sew those together and then use extra batting and fabric scraps to fill to make it thick enough for a comfortable bed. They make various sizes, according to the shelter's needs.