Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Have you ever kept a quilt instead of giving/donating?

Sounds like Christmas shopping. When I hit the stores to do my shopping and carefully select for all my loved ones, I keep "buying way too much for ME."
    Carol

Blog Entries
    Every once in a while DH will like one my Project Linus quilt tops so much that he requests we keep that one. So I do! I don't feel bad since I give them so much of my stash and time. Currently have 48 tops to drop off (2 months work). I feel like my stash couldn't go to better recipients and I love to piece. Win-Win!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Blog Entries
    All the time! I can't part with them. My boys laugh about their inheritance. Between that and all my sewing machines, they are not looking forward to me going anywhere and them having to clean out the ole sewing room!

Blog Entries
    I made a quilt for my parents for Christmas 2 years ago. If I could have gotten something else finished in time for Christmas I would not have given it to them. I told my mom this and she laughed. They have a sheet of paper with additions attached to their will. She added that I get their quilt to it. We laughed about it. I know my brothers and sisters would have given it to me anyway.

Blog Entries
    Yes I have a couple I made and had to remake because I fell in love with them.As someone stated there ours til we send them off.
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

I agree that I love most of the quilts I make. This year I am finishing up a big black appliqued quilt that I love and it is for me! DH wondered why I wanted it, but I reminded him that he got a beautiful one years ago that he loves. That's okay, then.

Keep your doll quilt for no other reason except that you love it. You don't need a reason other than that. If and when you get tired of looking at it, give it away!
    prolific hand quilter

Not only keep it, but hang it on the wall or put it on a prominent table where you can enjoy it. You'll be making more to give away - no need to feel guilty about wanting to keep this little bit of art for yourself. In fact, if there are people in your life who might think it odd of you to want a doll quilt, call it an art quilt, a miniature, a table mat or whatever it takes to remove the stigma of a big girl wanting a little girl's lovey. Tell them it commemorates all the Prince Charmings you kissed once upon a time.

Blog Entries
    Guilty....I made a quilt meant for a nephew but after all the testing it gave me I kept it for myself. A couple years ago I made a lap quilt for a dear friend who is wheel chair bound I loved it so much I made 2 more one for my aunt and one for me.

I say that unless they have already seen it that it is yours and if you like it to keep it. it is a good excuse to make another quilt to give to them. I have only three quilts in my house that I have not given away but those were for my little kids. these quilts will be here for about 15-18 years unless the kids decide to leave them when they leave for college/getting married. (both kids are under 5.) The longest I have kept a quilt after it was finished was maybe a week but that was because I was not able to give it to the person till then. I do have two quilts that have not found a home yet. (they were made as baby gifts but then I changed my mind about the fabrics or the pattern for the person so they got different quits) so there is nothing wrong with keeping the quilt and giving a different one, as long as a different one is given.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I think we all do that at one time or another. It's OKAY! You made it from your fabric and it is yours! Keep it any enjoy. There are all sorts of uses for tiny quilts and yours sound adorable!

Keep it and enjoy it as long as you want....you can always donate it later.

The one recurring theme to so many replies is how generous quilters are. You keep and enjoy that little quilt. It will remind you of all the hard work that you put into the quilts you do give away.

Keep some, give some away...it's your quilt. I have an assortment of small quilts that I like to put on my wall for a time, sort of rotating them as I wish. You should be able to keep and enjoy any that you really like. You can make a duplicate if you want. Some people keep nearly everything they make and then do trunk shows for guilds and other organizations for payment. There is no law about what you keep and what you give away and the quilt police won't get you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2