Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever.... >

Have you ever....

Have you ever....

Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 AM

this reminds of a certain president who had a certain word discussion.......
Old 05-25-2012, 06:12 AM

How sad that others have to put folks down for doing things differently than they do. I appreciate all forms of quilting, and truly appreciate the advances made that have made parts of quilting easier and safer, especially as I get older. Good for you for just leaving -- why allow those negative folks to taint what is a truly a happy, creative and giving art such as ours?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:00 AM

The wonderful lady who does long-arm work for me is my partner in quilting. I do hand piece as well as machine piece. I also hand quilt and use my domestic machine for some quilting. I have been know to work with other people on designing and piecing tops. We are all quilters! My grandmother, who taught me to quilt 55 years ago, learned to hand piece. She taught me on a treadle machine! She would have loved the beautiful work my long arm quilter does! She would never had said that what I did was any less a quilt than what she did all by hand as a young woman. Some people think they know everything, but in reality know very little!!!!!!1
Old 05-25-2012, 07:11 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
"Cackling hens" - LOL!! Seriously, I agree with you - I do my best work and am most content at home in my own little quilting studio doing my own thing. There's noone but me in that studio and I am a quilter, even if I only piece the tops. And someone should just ask those cackling hens just what they would be doing if we didn't piece those quilt tops for them to quilt.... ho hum... life's too short for that kind of argument...
I also piece the tops only. I know a lot of long armers who are backed up with so many quilts to quilt so that means I'm not the only one who sends out their quilts to be quilted. If we all quilted our own tops, all the LAQ would be out of business.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I would have had a ball making that group mad as wet hens. LOL. There would be no end to the comments I could have made, the more absurd the better! I would have laughed my butt off just hearing the debate out loud. I'd say you do it your way I'll do it my way and we'll let God sort it out, in the mean time pass me the cheater cloth.
I think we are kindred spirits; I would have had a lot of fun with this group as well! I would have started by telling them that they wouldn't be good long-arm quilters because their arms were too short! ROFL! Illustrate their absurdity by being absurd!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 AM

SuzyQ2-remember it's what you do with your hands, and your heart that counts, many people are just stubborn headed, and enjoy their way of doing things-Just think of yourself as a "Modern" Girl-who goes with the flow-Enjoy your Art no matter what way you do it-at least you get things done faster than the OLD Fuddy duddies-haha
Old 05-25-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmau View Post
I love to design and piece tops. I can't quilt to save my soul!-Binding is okay. My main problem is I can't afford to pay up to $300 to have the tops quilted as I won't keep them but donate them.

I need to find a solution to this before I am smothered in tops! LOL
I cannot afford it either. I have to save if I want one done. I hand do small ones for kids. when all else is done................Tie it!!! I love tied ones. smile
Old 05-25-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltbyme View Post
Question ?? When you send your quit top to a long arm quilter do they bind the edge before you get it back or do you have to do it.
I believe you can pay to have them bind it for you, but a lot of us en joy the process. I do...to me it is the icing on the lovely cake I made... smile....
Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
You're only a real quilter if you hand quilt using a needle you whittled out of a whale bone using thread you spun from your own cotton plants.....while breast feeding a 5 year old ....LOL

Looks like you had a bad encounter with the quilt police!
Could some body please do a tutorial on how to whittle a whale bone needle. LOL
Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM

There are many steps in the process of making a quilt. Piecing the top, basting the top, batting and backing together, quilting the layers, and applying the binding. Who is to say that you must do every step of the process yourself or it isn't a quilt? I machine piece because it is fun to sew on my little Brother machine. I can't sew well enough to do anything else but straight lines, but that's all I need to piece a quilt top. I hand quilt because I enjoy the slow steady rhythm of each stitch and it gives me time alone to just be. Besides, I don't have the skill to machine quilt. It's all good.