Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever taught quilting? >

Have you ever taught quilting?

Have you ever taught quilting?

Old 03-25-2010, 02:29 AM

You will do just fine, start with a simple nine patch or rail fence so you can see what their abilities are, perhaps they will not be so overwhelmed and they will return, the beauty is in the beholder, I am a long arm quilter and I really get some bad quilts, but the families that receive them love them. My friend and I have thaught stack n whack three times and are going to do it again in June this year. We only take 10 at max for the class, then we will do a demo on Saturday at the expo. we are not professionals but the ladies love us.
Jean
Old 03-25-2010, 05:00 AM

You are too funny! I'd be the same way but I think you will find that "teaching" something you know well and are passionate about is going to be a lot easier than what you are imagining. Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 AM

How about string quilts sewed onto muslin? It doesn't get any simpler than that, and you could use lots of scraps.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:41 AM

Here's another solution.

Give them something really difficult to quilt and they wont come back!

As for the priest. Return him to Canada and we'll try and keep him here for you!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:50 AM

After reading some of the suggestions, here's one: The first gathering should be on tools, fabric (especially using stash and clothing you no longer wear) and how-tos; this will separate the crafters into sewers and non-sewers. Both can have a part. If people are reluctant about sewing, they can still help by cutting pieces, etc. Include rudimentary rotary cutting safety!!!

The next class should be something they can start and finish in the time allotted, like a potholder, a hotpad, or something small.

Just act like this is conversation among friends, teaching your kids or grandkids, and you'll do fine! You already are looking for support on how to do this action, meaning you are more than halfway there. Blessings will follow...
Old 03-25-2010, 06:00 AM

All really good suggestions. In our church quilt group we don't have a teacher, rather we have two coordinators. They don't stand in front and teach, they and many others of us teach one on one. We started with some lap quilt tops that we learned to put together and tie. We also make bears that we have some of the ladies that do not care to sew (but enjoy the fellowship)can stuff. As someone discovers a new block etc. they teach to whoever wants to learn. The numbers of items that we donate each month is really great. We meet every other Tuesday morning from 9 to 11:30 or so. You'll do great because you have this board to back you up.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:21 AM

I'm not a wallflower, but I'm still learning about teaching in my current class of three high school girls. Here are some things I've been "reminded of" lately:

- start with a project where matching seams are not a big deal so you don't have to worry about that ( a Buggy Barn pattern is great for this, or any of the "free-style" cutting patterns, or even a disappearing 9-patch (if the seams in the original nine patch don't match it won't matter as much since you'll be cutting it up to restitch it!) Even "wonky" 9 patches or 4 patches!
- make the issue "straight seams" rather than "quarter inch seams" for the first one. They can use this one to 'practice' quarter inch seams if you want. Free style cutting is great for that since you know you'll have extra to cut off before you assemble the blocks have to size up each block after the initial assembly and that assumes that you'll be taking off a half inch or so of fabric on all sides
- make it scrappy so that you don't have to worry about color and pattern selection (you can still retain some sense of color by requiring them each pick a color and then every fabric they use has to have that color in it even if it's "different versions" of that color)
- use individual talents to help the group, some people can't or don't want to use machines, but can do a great job of ironing, etc.. You could pair people up so that they can help each other with tasks that they individually don't like to do one puts pieces together ready for stitching and presses them when seams are done, etc.

Once they have each made or helped with their first quilt, then you can go on to something that requires more attention to details, and by then you'll have build your confidence up a little

You'll do great in this!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 AM

You will enjoy it once you start.Are you going to teach making the quilt top and then quilting,or will it be quilting in the frame.some ladies(men)just like the quilting part, WHY NOT BUY A ALL CLOTH TOP ,THATS A PLAIN COLTH WITH THE STICHING ALL MARKED FOR YOU TO SEE IF THEY KNOW HOW TO HAND QUILT,I HAVE A QUILT SHOP NEAR THAT SELLS THEM ALL MARKED,THE LAST ONE I GOT FOR MY GROUP WAS ABOUT $60.00,THEY ARE USALLY QUEEN SIZE.I ONLY HAVE ONE LADY OUT OF 8 THAT KNEW HOW TO PEICE A QUILT ,THE OTHERS DID NOT WANT TO LEARN, IF WE MADE A PEICED QUILT I DID THE PEICEING, GOOD LUCK.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
I've been asked to help a "start up" quilt group at my church make their quilts. They didn't use the word "teach" but I guess that's what I'll be doing.
I don't want to.
I'll help them make them and remind them there's no quilt police, any "how to's" that I might know, etc.
"Guiding", "suggesting", that's what I feel comfortable with, but teaching?
They want me to be in front walking them through the process as each one of us individually make the same quilt.

Mostly they'll be for charity but they also want to make at least one quilt each year for auctioning to raise money to use for church things (helping pay bills for parishioners, repairs, new computers at the church, etc).

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for the above uses. And I'd love to help with the quilts.
But "teach"?
My knees are knocking.
I'm very much a wallflower. I love being in the shadows.
Our priest was standing there and told me, with a grin on his face, this might be God's way of helping me bloom. :shock:
Bloom??? I'm too old to bloom!!! :)
My grandkids should be blooming....

Anyway, I'm going to do it. Not because of the priest (who I'm suggesting gets transferred immediately to someplace horrible!! :-D )
but because I'm a sucker for quilting and want more people to see how fun and satisfying it can be, and what is a better way to spend an evening than surrounded by fabric, humming machines, common good goals, etc.
We can even bring our kids and grandkids to watch and "help". Fun.

I know I'm doomed....I'm going to do it.
How have other wallflowers dealt with this?
And where did you send your priest?
It is sort of intimidating to start quilting, but I'm sure you can do it! It would help to find a beginners book that you can work from to help quide you. You may find other members who would be willing and able to help you "teach", so you won't have to be in the limelight all the time. But I've found when people are impressed with what you do, and want you to show them how to do it too, you quickly get over that wallflower feeling!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:18 AM

send him for alot of coffee, it does help, both for you and him when you stare at him