Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever taught quilting? >

Have you ever taught quilting?

Have you ever taught quilting?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:45 AM

Personally, I don't like others telling me what my "ministry" is. I'll know it in my heart. It seems like in your heart you want to do this so great! My only recommendation is that you pick a pretty simple quilt pattern.
I "taught" a good friend last year, how to make Christmas placemats. Knowing she was inexperienced, I designed what I thought was simple pattern, 4" squares of different Christmas fabrics. I didn't realize how difficult it is for a novice to even use a rotary cutter! And sewing a straight seam was a challenge! She used my Bernina machine and I sat right with her, guiding the whole activity. Some of the seams were 1/4" and it wavered to about 1/8 up to 1/2". I didn't correct everything unless it was a problem when she turned it. It was an education for me--teaching inexperienced folks! I strongly advise to use a simple pattern! :)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 AM

I'd start with an easy, dramatic one like Disappearing Nine Patch.

They could each make the same pattern, yet each one would end up
with a totally different quit!! And the sense of accomplishment would
instantly doom them to a life time of quilting.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianLoon
Here's another solution.

Give them something really difficult to quilt and they wont come back!

As for the priest. Return him to Canada and we'll try and keep him here for you!
:-D :-D :-D you're evil!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by gazelle
It was an education for me--teaching inexperienced folks!
Yes I agree.
I've taught some ladies and a couple Girl Scouts (one at a time) how to sew.
It was an eye opener alright.
What seemed so obvious, super simple and "I could do it while asleep" was something they had to learn.
Good point. I'm glad you reminded me.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
I'm not a wallflower, but I'm still learning about teaching in my current class of three high school girls. Here are some things I've been "reminded of" lately:

- start with a project where matching seams are not a big deal so you don't have to worry about that ( a Buggy Barn pattern is great for this, or any of the "free-style" cutting patterns, or even a disappearing 9-patch (if the seams in the original nine patch don't match it won't matter as much since you'll be cutting it up to restitch it!) Even "wonky" 9 patches or 4 patches!
- make the issue "straight seams" rather than "quarter inch seams" for the first one. They can use this one to 'practice' quarter inch seams if you want. Free style cutting is great for that since you know you'll have extra to cut off before you assemble the blocks have to size up each block after the initial assembly and that assumes that you'll be taking off a half inch or so of fabric on all sides
- make it scrappy so that you don't have to worry about color and pattern selection (you can still retain some sense of color by requiring them each pick a color and then every fabric they use has to have that color in it even if it's "different versions" of that color)
- use individual talents to help the group, some people can't or don't want to use machines, but can do a great job of ironing, etc.. You could pair people up so that they can help each other with tasks that they individually don't like to do one puts pieces together ready for stitching and presses them when seams are done, etc.

Once they have each made or helped with their first quilt, then you can go on to something that requires more attention to details, and by then you'll have build your confidence up a little

You'll do great in this!
Lots of good advice in your post.
I've said Thank you several times in this thread and there are posts that I've enjoyed and learned from that I haven't said it.
So to everyone who's been kind enough to share their thoughts and ideas, this is a sincere group Thank you from me! ((((HUGS))))) to all of you.
(we need an icon that is a kiss or something, eh?)
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 PM

Also I think if they make a lap quilt it will not be to over whelming for them. I know even now I get tired of the quilt by the time I get a queen one made. Quick results, small projects are a must for beginners as well as (like some one said) no seams to match.
Jean
Old 03-25-2010, 12:19 PM

Take a deep breath---the first time I taught I was scared to death. But I made up a finished block and samples of each step--I covered a piece of cardboard with flannel and used that to put them on as we did each step. I always tell my classes; ..."that I learn from them as well, so relax and let's have a good time." Once you get started, it will all fall into place. Also I always take handouts with the quilt shown and directions on how to do it. As for the priest,well I would either put him at a sewing machine or just lock him out of the room.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:24 PM

There is a lot of good advice for you in this thread. I teach weekly in my home. When I first started teaching I started with the teen agers from our church. I had a helper for the six girls. I was scared spitless and I'll admit it. I have always hated to be in front of a group. Now I limit my classes to 4. I had a new class start last month, it is only once a month on Sat for 2 or 4 hours. Even though I knew all the women but one I was very nervous. I had a long list of what I wanted to show/teach them. I started with the basics, the very basics like how to fold the fabric for cutting, how to use a rotary and stuff like that. One of the things I stress regularly is a clean machine. Everything I showed they then had to do it. After about 2 hours they could sew on what they wanted. The second class I reviewed a few of the things I had taught them last month. In this class I showed them how to clean their machines. The hours speed by, but I am exhausted when they go. I do give them a list of what they need to bring and asked that they bring more than they thing they'll need. I don't want them to run out of things to do. In my other classes this year I am teaching them a new block a month. At the end of year, they'll have a sampler. I told my new class about the block a month and they want to do it too.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 PM

I think he's right. One is never too old to "bloom". You may discover that you are a great teacher.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:28 PM

I got myself involved in exactly the same way through my church. We do the Prayers and Squares Quilt Ministry and it was decided that since I knew how to quilt that teaching it should come naturally. Well, for me it does not. I can show you but I can't teach you. God has a great sense of humor on what He thinks I am capable of.

Good luck and say lots of prayers before you begin.