Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever taught quilting? >

Have you ever taught quilting?

Have you ever taught quilting?

Old 03-25-2010, 05:56 PM

*giggling* thinking I just best pass up the teaching part... I am a fulltime student of quilting! Probably will be one forever having started late in my years!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:11 PM

Oviously they know you are a great quilter! I would love to teach quilting because I want everyone to love it as much as me!
What a great opportunity, I hope you realize this is a great compliment.
I love your quilt icon...Its beautiful!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:43 PM

You'll do just fine and yes, I agree, some will catch on some will not and all work at different paces - Don't ever take it personal. By the way, our priest is retiring - send him to Pittsburg, CA :)
Old 03-25-2010, 07:04 PM

When I learned to quilt, I was in a severe depression, menopause and health related. So I feel my first teacher saved my sanity and maybe my life. So just remember if you can't answer their questions, you sure can find them here on this board. I am a wall flower and never really had friends until I joined a quilt guild and learned to quilt. I feel I finally belong somewhere.ya know??? Tell them "this is a casual class for them," and really it's for you too. No teacher knows it all, why should you? I learn something everyday if I am lucky. Good luck. you will change someone's life or many. who knows. :thumbup:
Karen
Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj
How about string quilts sewed onto muslin? It doesn't get any simpler than that, and you could use lots of scraps.
We did this at our Church, we made 24 string lapsized quilts ( Quilt in a Day), and 71 other various types in three weeks. It was amazing!! Our lake rose 15 feet and the back country got flooded. I wanted to make a difference to those who lost things. Cover them in warmth and love and a quilt fit the bill. But, I didn't want to go in front of the congregation, but God did!! I was so nervous that I took 1/2 a tranquilizer!! I had 40 yards of batting on a roll and 10 yards of cheater fabric. The response was unbelievable. We met 5 times, some sewed at home. There were experience sewers/quilters, ladies who just ironed, some just cut, some just tied the quilts, all were welcome. We called the string quilts, "Quilts of many colors." If you do as the ladies on this wonderful board are suggesting, you'll do great!! Make sure there is plenty of water and chocolate!! Set the time you'll be meeting between 2-4 hours. If you're still really nervous, there are stress relievers that you can get at a health food store, such as calms or rescue remedy. I wouldn't suggest the tranquilizer and a rotary cutter in the same hand!! Oh, and get your guardian Angel involved!! Say a prayer!!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:52 PM

I always remember one of the first things I learned - measure twice, cut once. This is one of the first things I tell a new quilter.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, lots of nice ideas and suggestions for quilting! Thanks everyone!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Betty K
I always remember one of the first things I learned - measure twice, cut once. This is one of the first things I tell a new quilter.
Absolutely! That's one of the great basic things to tell them.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
I've been asked to help a "start up" quilt group at my church make their quilts. They didn't use the word "teach" but I guess that's what I'll be doing.
I don't want to.
I'll help them make them and remind them there's no quilt police, any "how to's" that I might know, etc.
"Guiding", "suggesting", that's what I feel comfortable with, but teaching?
They want me to be in front walking them through the process as each one of us individually make the same quilt.

Mostly they'll be for charity but they also want to make at least one quilt each year for auctioning to raise money to use for church things (helping pay bills for parishioners, repairs, new computers at the church, etc).

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for the above uses. And I'd love to help with the quilts.
But "teach"?
My knees are knocking.
I'm very much a wallflower. I love being in the shadows.
Our priest was standing there and told me, with a grin on his face, this might be God's way of helping me bloom. :shock:
Bloom??? I'm too old to bloom!!! :)
My grandkids should be blooming....

Anyway, I'm going to do it. Not because of the priest (who I'm suggesting gets transferred immediately to someplace horrible!! :-D )
but because I'm a sucker for quilting and want more people to see how fun and satisfying it can be, and what is a better way to spend an evening than surrounded by fabric, humming machines, common good goals, etc.
We can even bring our kids and grandkids to watch and "help". Fun.

I know I'm doomed....I'm going to do it.
How have other wallflowers dealt with this?
And where did you send your priest?
I'm replying to this before I read anymore. You are NOT too old to do this. It won't be as hard as you think. There is an awesome book (actually there are two) that could be a great help to you to give you more confidence. You will see that you know so much of this stuff already and all you need to do is help someone else learn how to do it. I strongly recommend the books by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes, QUILTS! QUILTS! QUILTS! and QUILTS! QUILTS! AND MORE QUILTS!

I didn't teach from these books, but I taught myself to do a lot from these books. Each block (quilt) is set up in "lesson plan" form. There are excellent pictures and diagrams. And the basics that are included are the best next to none. I don't know these ladies (except from what I've seen on them on quilting shows), I don't work for these ladies, but I love their books. I highly recommend that you take this opportunity to teach others. You won't be sorry.

Now I'll read the rest of this thread. :wink:
Old 03-26-2010, 06:16 AM

About the comment of "sending your priest." we would welcome a priest from Canada to our parish. We've had an awesome priest from Canada before. Our heritage began in Canada.