Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Have you heard of Noddy from Toy Town?

Oh gosh, I grew up with Noddy :)
    He's a british character and I still have one of my old books :)

Quote Originally Posted by belgrave
    I am 62 years old and read Noddy and his friends when I was a very young child. Wonderful reading for children even though for a time it was deemed inappropriate and banned in some countries. Some rather strange politically correct people thought Noddy and Big Ears relationship was unhealthy. As an innocent child, I never saw that side and was never corrupted by them but loved them.
    Another "issue" was Golliwog. People thought it was an inappropriate stereotype of blacks. Funny how I never thought anything of it as a child. They treated him well in the books. I think it was just the way he looked.

The back middle character is Golliwog
    Name:  Attachment-97480.jpe
Views: 67
Size:  19.1 KB

my 3 & 4 year old love Noddy. his show can be found in the US on the Sprout channel. we get it with direct tv. i would need to make two quilts with noddy fabric to avoid fights. so many fabrics so little time.

I never heard of Noddy until my granddaughter lived with us at age 2 and we discovered him on the Sprout channel on cable TV.

I can't believe you've never heard of Noddy and Big Ears and Mr Plod. They were a great part of my childhood.
    My sisters and I had a doll of each of the characters.
    Loved them. Maybe it was just an Australian/English thing.

i am 60+ noddy is of my childhood but the politically correct messed with what was the most simple of stories that children love--even had problems because big ears +noddy slept in the same bed ?????

I grew up with Noddy and Big Ears (and Rupert) books.

I never thought about gender orientation or racial discrimination, I was just a kid who enjoyed a good story.

I still have a Noddy patchwork cover that was made when I was born, 43 years ago!!
    Enid Blyton wrote Noddy & dozens of other childrens books from the 30's onwards. After her death, her books were seen as 'un-p.c.'. George, the girl in the famous five was said to be a lesbian, noddy was gay cos he shared a bed with another toy, big ears, & gollywog was a total no-no! hilarious!!
    anyway, go to the BBC website for children, CEBEEBIES, and they will have a Noddy show for you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Deecee
    I grew up with Noddy and Big Ears (and Rupert) books.

I never thought about gender orientation or racial discrimination, I was just a kid who enjoyed a good story.
    Heya deecee, i posted my reply before i saw yours. I agree, we were kids & saw only a funny story. Adults ruined the innocence of it. As my kids used to say when they were teenagers - ' Ma, ya haven't a clue'! lol!

I think all British children grew up with Noddy - either the original or sadly the altered later version. Enid Blyton was definitely a part of every child's life in Uk - I remember feeling desolate when I came to the end of a series and there were no more Famous Five or Secret Seven books to look forward to. EB went out of fashion - supposedly because of her limited vocabulary but when I helped with a junior school library I found that the best way to get children interested in reading was to start them on Enid Blyton.. When they had worked there way through they were hooked on reading and wanted to move on to more challenging literature.

I always liked Noddy and the things he got up to. I am in Australia and it has been a couple of years ago. I am a kid at heart and still like the cartoons. We watch Mickey mouse and Jungle Junction as there is usually nothing good or interesting on and it is a good way to unwind before going to bed-- which I am going to do now. Night all.

Bed sounds good Annya - its almost midnight here in Aus. so I'm off to bed also.

Good night everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cindit
    Quote Originally Posted by belgrave
    I am 62 years old and read Noddy and his friends when I was a very young child. Wonderful reading for children even though for a time it was deemed inappropriate and banned in some countries. Some rather strange politically correct people thought Noddy and Big Ears relationship was unhealthy. As an innocent child, I never saw that side and was never corrupted by them but loved them.
    Another "issue" was Golliwog. People thought it was an inappropriate stereotype of blacks. Funny how I never thought anything of it as a child. They treated him well in the books. I think it was just the way he looked.

I think that all stemmed from a story that Enid Blyton wrote about the little black doll that wanted to be pink! I never saw Gollys as being rascist, they're just black- the same way that Goblins are green and stuff.

Being in my 20s I grew up with some of the altered stuff, I reread Mr Galliano's Circus the other day (being a librarian gives me plenty of chance to reread things) and I was shocked by some of it, the dog called "Nigger" and the monkey that was bought from a "savage" in Africa. But that's how people wrote and spoke back then, so we can't really judge by todays standards.

Having said that I looked through one of the newer editions of the famous five the other day and it mentions Adidas!!! A brand name, and not only that but one that I don't think was around in the 50s/60s?

Also some of the covers these days are interesting. Anyone remember the five find outers? Apparently "Fatty" isn't so fat anymore...

(sorry for rambling on. One of my fave. topics
    :mrgreen: )

Noddy is very well know over here... not only because of the Enid Blyton books but the adaptated childrens programmes too!

He is a national treasure in the UK!

Hugs

P.C can be taken a bit too far, cant it? any way I loved E.B. I wanted to go to Malory Towers or St Claires. She brought a different world to your door step. Lucky you, in a library all day, that would be a dream of mine! Although Id probably do no work, just read!

I remember making a Noddy outfit for my little brother when he was about 3 years old...must have been for some fancy dress party I think.....I pinched the bell for his hat from an old cat collar ! lol (I dont think the cat was using it at the time)

Karen xx

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    The sales rep is coming tomorrow, and should have some good pictures of what the Noddy fabric will look like.

So... do you think I should order this for the store?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Quoted from Quilting Treasures' website:

"Noddy is a little wooden boy who lives in Toy Town and is a character created by British author Enid Blyton. Noddy's signature red, yellow and blue vehicles as well as scenes from Toy Town create the basis for this collection."

So this is an upcoming licensed collection, but (not being in the UK) I have never heard of Noddy. Have you ever heard of him?

Noddy is regularly on tv in GB , more popular now than Muffin the mule also by the famous Enid Blyton author who wrote children's stories ,the most well known were THE FAMOUS FIVE and all their adventures----this was when I was a kid and am 64 now!!
    Noddy

mbp

Noddy has been around for at least 50 odd years, he was a cartoon character when I was young (I've just given away my age).The series was placed in the politically incorrect category quite a few years ago (therefore you may not have heard of him). This was because of one of the characters being a "gollywog" & was discriminated because he was a black doll & the other reason was because of unfounded rumours that "Big Ears" & "Noddy" were in a same gender relationship, this was implied because they used to have sleepovers together. This was complete nonsense because what child under the age of 10 hasn't been invited to a birthday sleepover? Fortunately, common sense has prevailed & the endearing little chap has been allowed back into the media & into books. It is unfortunate that the innocent are the one's who loose out,e.g. no-one give a hoot as to the swearing & other lewd actions in The Simpsons. From:mbp

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    The sales rep is coming tomorrow, and should have some good pictures of what the Noddy fabric will look like.

So... do you think I should order this for the store?
    sooooo, in answer to your first question, if kids in america dont know really know who 'noddy' is, will you be left with a load of fabric sitting on the shelf? maybe you should skip it this time?

mbp

To reply to your original question, why not order the Noddy fabric if you also stock the Dick & Jane fabric series???????? That series came out of a school reading programme, e.g. "See Spot jump.....See Jane hop......" & this is still used today in quilts & in school readers.You may even still have Winnie the Pooh material, or the Jetsons. So as it is always difficult to find fabric to make things for boys that are NOT violent or showing violent actions, go right ahead & order it. I am quite sure little girls will love their Noddy quilts just as much as the little boys. It makes a nice change to see fabric that does not invoke violence or the darker side of life. Let little kids be little kids & enjoy their childhood. From:mbp

Power Poster
    The picture look familiar but I was not sure of the name Noddy.

How old would the Noddy books be?

Noddy is legendary here in the uk - all children are brought up knowing about him here.
    Noddy the little boy with the red and yellow car!!

The first Noddy book was published in 1949

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2