Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you heard of this Product >

Have you heard of this Product

Have you heard of this Product

Old 03-19-2012, 08:05 AM

Default Have you heard of this Product

At a quilt expo last year i ran into a company that was showing a product called "AltoCutting System" it look great, the rulers are attached to the cutting matt, and you don't have to move the fabric because the mat is a turn table also
its pretty big, and will cut any size you want, squares, rectangles, diamonds, triangles, strips etc.... Now for my question, if you have heard of it or have it, how does it compare to the accuquiltgo, with the go you need to buy the designs, but not with the alto, price wise its about the same, for some reason i think the alto is better, but i would appreciate some advice, especially if you own one. I will be attending the Paducah Show at the end of April so i was going to look for it their.

thank you for any help u can give me
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 AM

I have the Alto, but I never use it! Even with such a system I have problems cutting fabric, if you can believe that! That's why I am going to buy the Acuquilt Go very soon. I don't know what it is about me that I can't cut anything properly - just a klutz I guess, so I've decided that with the Accuquilt Go I'm less likely to mess up!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:06 AM

Have a friend that has the Altos and the one time I tried to use it, it felt weird but probably just takes some getting used to. However she loves it. If you are going to the show I would ask them (maybe during a slow time) to let you use it - take some old fq's with you. My mom does have the Go but she uses it mostly for the applique shapes. You can make a mistake when cutting strips/squares, etc. on that also. Your fabric really needs to be ironed before you cut it - I always do that so not an issue for me.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 AM

Are you talking about the quiltcut2? http://www.quiltcut.com/

It's pretty heavy and bulky. I think it would be best if you can have a dedicated space to just leave it set up for cutting. It still takes practice but I like it alot. I have a friend who has one and I borrow it every once in awhile.

Economically speaking I think the Alto is better because you don't have to buy individual dies for every shape/size you want to cut.

My friend got hers at a discount because she took the demo one from a quilt show at the end.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 AM

I have one and absolutely love it. This product was the answer to my crooked cuts. I have a special place to keep it out and use it every time I have to cut something. I bought a used one off the board.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I want the quiltcut 2 so badly. I have been searching high and low for one that is slightly used and for a good price, but no luck. Someone recently had one for sale at a great price, but I was too late. If anyone has one they want to sell, I am really wanting one. Just pm me. I might do a thread asking if anyone wants to sell theirs.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I bought it some years ago. It works great but I still had to line up the fabric the same as using a ruler. It holds the fabric in place but it has to be perfectly straight before holding it. I never can get the bottom to line up exactly on the mat line. I took more time getting everything straight then it was worth. I have the Go and like it much better. The Alto is not very portable so I doubt you need the carrying case. It's well made and very heavy. The mat is wonderful. You will need room to have the Alto accessible to three sides of the cutting table.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:23 PM

I bought an Alto System two weeks ago because I do a lot of strip quilting and without fail the ruler would slip no matter what I did. Last night I finished the fourth strip pieced quilt top (40x52) using only the Alto.....every cut was consistent and so easy. The trick to getting the fabric to line up is to fold the 44" wide fabric twice (22" for the first fold and then fold again to 11" wide). Iron well and have a sharp blade in your rotary cutter. I have the Go and don't use it because there seems to be so much wasted fabric. Now that I know my accuracy is so much better, the Alto will be coming on retreats. Luckily I splurged and got the carrying case.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I don't know why everyone has so much waste using the Go. I have about 1/4" waste. Not enough for me to fret over.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 AM

I have the GO and the amount of "wasted" fabric is miniscule......I collect all those little snippets into a basket and then make "pillows" for the local vet/surgery cages........When I was trying to decide Alto/GO, because of portability and ability to "stack" different sizes onto a die for cutting and availability of all the various die cuts and more always coming down, it made my choice easy, but as everything else, it is a personal thing.