Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need new ruler

Need new ruler

My ruler is sliding around & driving me crazy. I really need a new "sticky" type ruler! 24" x 6". I saw the Guidelines for quilting rulers but it seems like a stretch...too good to be true. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance...
    Paula

I have just put the new Steady Betty thingys on my rulers and believe me they do not slide. I work in a quilt shop and we like them so much we now have them on all rulers. No more wavy cuts, and going off at the ends crocked. Also, they are really inexpensive. Hope this helps,
    Kathie

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    my "go to" ruler is the 24x5.5 O'Lipfa with a handle that can be positioned for a lefty or righty. I did put lil round sandpaper tabs on it, but where can we buy STEADY BETTY THINGS?
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Have a look at Clear Grip - I have it on all of my rulers

http://www.aussiepatches.com.au/cont...enthousand.seo

try looking for a product called InvisiGrip. Its a clear product you put on the bottom of your ruler. It comes in a roll, so you can do all your rulers. No need to get a new one if you don't want.

http://softexpressions.com/software/...InvisiGrip.php
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

The Olfa Advantage rulers are the best thing since rotary cutters. They're frosted so you can easily see on both light and dark fabrics, non-slip for stability and have thin lines for precision cutting. The 6x24 ruler has angle markings for 15, 30, 45, 60 and 90...way more than most...that work for both right and left handers. http://www.olfa.com/RulersDetail.aspx?C=66&Id=146
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

My ruler slips around, also. I have better luck with having at least 4 layers of fabric under the ruler when I cut.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrio View Post
    where can we buy STEADY BETTY THINGS?
    It looks like you can get them at Joann's:
    http://www.joann.com/steady-betty-ru...prd_10560027a/
    ~~Cathy~~

I read on a post here once a tip of putting hot glue on bottom of the rulers, so I tried it and it works great! They no longer slide at all and the glue is clear, so doesn't mess up the visibility. I love this board and all its tips!

Quote Originally Posted by krysti View Post
    I read on a post here once a tip of putting hot glue on bottom of the rulers, so I tried it and it works great! They no longer slide at all and the glue is clear, so doesn't mess up the visibility. I love this board and all its tips!
    I tried rubber cement with a "so-so" result. Do you put the hot glue on just the corners, along one edge or where?
    SittingPretty

I put little pieces of the foam with the sticky back. trust me it does not move, even when you to nudge it into place a little LOL
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

Blog Entries
    I use TrueGrips made by The Grace Company. I've used InvisiGrip, the sand paper dots, etc. and nothing works like the TrueGrips although I kinda like the hot glue idea.
    Bernie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    The Olfa Advantage rulers are the best thing since rotary cutters. They're frosted so you can easily see on both light and dark fabrics, non-slip for stability and have thin lines for precision cutting. The 6x24 ruler has angle markings for 15, 30, 45, 60 and 90...way more than most...that work for both right and left handers. http://www.olfa.com/RulersDetail.aspx?C=66&Id=146
    This is my go to ruler too! I love how it is frosted and it doesn't slide, easy to see through and the lines are not tooo busy! I have some other rulers and I bought the invisigrip to use on them. But I still have a full roll of Invisigrip so I must not use those others very often!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I really like the Creative Grids rulers. They have frosted grippers on the back and the lines are easy to read.

Gonna have to look for the steady betty ruler things. I love my steady betty!
    Linda

I have a couple of the green olfas that I like, but for my old yellow rulers I went to Joannes and bought some of the lightweight clear vinyl and cut it to fit on the bottom of the rulers. They are much better now and since I can't afford the cost of replacing all my rules, I am happy.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

SittingPretty, I think you can just put on all 4 corners, but I wasn't sure if that was quite good enough, so I also put a couple of small thing lines across every 4 or 5 inches or so. The glue dries really fast, and the lines do not interfere with the visibility at all and the ruler doesn't budge.

Blog Entries
    Here's MY solution.....using the rubbery waffle weave shelf liner stuff......comes in a roll. Cut off any size/shape you want and place it under your ruler and VOILA! No slip, reusable, washable,etc. Works every time!
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

Blog Entries
    For a quick fix, I've used 'saran wrap' on back of rulers with some success. Tons of good suggestions here
    justsojanie

Started off with all the Creative Grids one, but they are so expensive and is it me... or do they seem like they scratch easy. I'm the only one who uses my stuff and I take good care of it, but still scratches. Two things happened in less than a week. I dropped my 12 inch... first one I've ever dropped and chipped a corner. Still usable, just not the one corner. Then I went to a class and the ruler was so hard to read on very dark fabric they handed me an Olfa and that worked great. JoAnn's had a sale the following week and I picked up a bunch of the neon green OmniGrip ones. Those are fantastic. Never move. The slightly thicker line doesn't bother me. So now between the two they work great. However, I'm very curious as to the frosted Olfa. May need to try one of those.
    - Rose

I bought this and love it. The ads are spot on. I think it is well worth the money. I don't think you will regret buying it. I bought it and it got put aside and one day I remembered I had it and couldn't believe it took me so long to use it. Now it is my number 1 go to ruler.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoblue View Post
    My ruler is sliding around & driving me crazy. I really need a new "sticky" type ruler! 24" x 6". I saw the Guidelines for quilting rulers but it seems like a stretch...too good to be true. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance...
    Paula
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    I really like the Creative Grids rulers. They have frosted grippers on the back and the lines are easy to read.
    I just bought one of these for a class & I LOVE IT. I tried invisigrip and it was ok to begin with but then got messy.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrio View Post
    my "go to" ruler is the 24x5.5 O'Lipfa with a handle that can be positioned for a lefty or righty. I did put lil round sandpaper tabs on it, but where can we buy STEADY BETTY THINGS?
    Another option is to get the handles that go in the shower that have suction cups on the back. The least expensive place that we have found them are in Harbor Freight. Here is the link http://www.harborfreight.com/bath-sa...dle-96086.html

Blog Entries
    GET THE CREATIVE GRIDS RULER!!! Got one this weekend and have never felt so absolutely confident and comfortable with any ruler. No more pushing down so hard and getting an achy hand. Totally non-slip and so easy to see the markings!

Best ever.
    Enjoy your future cutting! Kit
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I like the OLFA advantage rulers
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I bought the Guidelines Ruler and dislike it. Used it one time. Will never use it again. Wobbles around. (If you are talking about the ruler)
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast