Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made your "Masterpiece" yet? >

Have you made your "Masterpiece" yet?

Have you made your "Masterpiece" yet?

Old 02-19-2011, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maride
Most artist don't realize they did their masterpiece already. We are our worse judges. Sometimes we hide our best pieces. I want to say yes. I have. It is yet to be recognized as a masterpiece and I hope it happens while I am still alive.
Great point! :thumbup:
Old 02-19-2011, 06:15 AM

Aren't they all masterpieces?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
Aren't they all masterpieces?
To the eye of the beholder. To me they all are, but it is only my opinion.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 AM

Still striving for it! It's the journey that lites my heart. every quilt I make has a piece of me, I remember every single one, after 40+ years. In my heart every quilt was a masterpiece!

I am working on making one very special quilt for each of my children and grandchildren, with a special message personalized to the recipient, that will be my legacy to each. Each quilt is hand appliqued, one I have been working on for over 10 years, it's almost finished, ready to be sandwiched and hand quilted.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:57 PM

I don't know for sure if this is my "masterpiece" yet, but I would say so far it is...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-27384-1.htm

I also made a double wedding ring quilt, all pieced and quilted by hand that took me years to make. It was my "masterpiece" for a while, but as I have progressed in my skills, I can see that it is not all that good. I still love it, and it was the first quilt that I made for myself.

I have lots left to learn, and hopefully, I have a few "masterpieces" still in there... :D
Old 02-19-2011, 01:17 PM

I guess I kind of have two masterpiece projects in my head. One is my series of stained glass window wall hangings based off the windows from the game Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker----currently working on the color schemes. The other one is a quilt made of t-shirts of my favorite band, Kittie----unfortunatly I have to go collecting shirts again because the shirts I had are/were at my ex's place (among other things) and he refuses to give them back (Ah well...some of the shirts are off the band's website so it will just mean more money for a struggling band. Can't argue with that).

I don't really consider a "masterpiece" a display of skill. For me a masterpiece would be something I worked really hard on and am really proud of.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:21 PM

Not yet... But as someone else has said, each quilt seems to be a little better than the last. Maybe there is hope for me yet.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:52 PM

Maybe we create them as we go along? I know when I have done what I thought I wasn't capable of, & it is a nice feeling. Like your friend, I keep trying to find new ways & techniques, of doing my quilting. I love changing patterns too, making them your creation. It is so much fun to quilt that, versus totally following a pattern. Just work on one masterpiece at a time, then move up a step, to the next one! So many quilts are masterpieces, but I doubt if the maker thinks so, so have faith in yourself, & just keep quilting, & enjoying it!...
Old 02-19-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
A queen sized cathedral window quilt is my current master piece :) I have a 3 ft square so far! My goal is to have it done by the first of June. I started first of Feb! So 4 months. This is for my bed! Then onto a new master piece :) Master piece sounds like it is your best ever work of art! I want every piece to be a bit better than the last. There is always room to improve somehow!
I feel the same way. To me, quilting is a process and an artistic, creative expression of me, I don't feel that I have to make a quilt or need to make a quilt...I get inspired and it leads to the process to create a quilt, during which I am pouring my creative energy and own expression. It is a masterpiece being born, some are more mastered than others, lol, but while I am making a quilt, I am giving it my best effort and loving it.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:08 PM

I think that what keeps many of us making more... the ultimate masterpiece is always at least one more quilt away!