Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you seen "pay for" tuts from Missouri Star?? >

Have you seen "pay for" tuts from Missouri Star??

Have you seen "pay for" tuts from Missouri Star??

Old 04-10-2011, 02:43 PM

OK, I have signed up for them and I love them. I'm fairly new to quilting, and like some others have mentioned, I'm over 40 miles from the nearest LQS. With the price of gas, I do a lot of shopping on-line and now I'm looking to take some more classes there, too. As long as the price isn't too high, it beats the cost of gas and all the time it takes me to get to class. I've taken a couple of LQS classes and after a 1-2 hour drive each way (I live in the mountains), I'm usually too tired to get much done. Yes, I look for freebies on YouTube, etc., but I will pay for a class that I think will really help me. (Plus at the LQS, I never see a "replay" button on any of the instructors! :lol: )
Old 04-10-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by eashka
The free tutorials on the web-site are still there. I just watched them. Why is everybody so upset about paying for the quilting help? They have to make a living too and if I could teach like she does people would pay me too.
I totally agree, and if you see how wonderful Jenny Doan is you will be so glad you bought the course.

I am almost done with my first top, and I owe it all to Jenny.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. The original message was "tutorial" but I see from your comments these are classes. Thanks for the clarification.

j.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scraps
Today I received an e mail from McCall's with an offer to sign up for and pay for tutorials from Missouri Star Quilt Co. I don't know how much, but if you sign up now, it is 40% off. I love Missouri Star tutorials on U Tube. I won't be paying, but found this interesting.
I clicked on it just to see how much and I believe it was around $35.00 with unlimited access.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Doesn't sound like a good thing to me.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by eashka
I don't usually get in on these discussions, but I have to speak up. Unlike UTube the lessons that you pay for from MSQC with Jenny is an in-depth series of classes on several projects. I have been quilting for years but I still want to learn everything I can and Jenny is the best teacher I have ever had. This is not just somebody with a camera hung from the ceiling and not really knowing what they are doing. This is professional! I have bought both of the sets of classes and will buy the next one that she offers. Laugh at paying but this is a classic "You get what you pay for". And NO I am not out of my mind.

Like most people have mentioned... these are not just tutorials... it is a class. Like you would probably take at your local LQS. And with any type of class, it is not free.

I agree with you that Jenny is an awesomeeeee teacher. If it was not for her, I would not have known what to do once I decided to get into quilting. Yes, the message board helped with some things, but at that time... Jenny was THE BEST hands down. And she has such a good-natured spirit. I even love it when she does an Oopsie. She is just so cute about it. She makes me feel like it is okay to make mistakes and to just have fun with it. Her class is the only one I would be able to afford... the beginner classes in my area are around $200. To me...that is a big rip-off. Especially if you had had a long day and were tired and either could not make the class or just could not concentrate. With the Missouri Star place, I would be able to watch, listen, and learn at my own convenience, and still be able to ask whatever questions I have. I have been so impatient to get a few bucks so that I can take the Missouri Star classes. Oh, and let me reiterate.... I LOVE JENNY. lolllllllll
Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM

I understand that these classes might not be for everyone, but I am just about finished with the first series and even though I an not strictly a beginner, I have learned a lot of tips and gained a lot of confidence. I like that I can go back over and over if I need to, and ask questions also. When I finish this one, I will sign up for the next as soon as I can afford it.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:01 PM

I think these tuts would be excellent for the newbies. Jenny is a terrific teacher. Even though it includes some of the projects from some of her free tuts, I even thought about taking it. I think with the discount it is $29.95. The tuts are supposed to take you from start to finish of a quilt though the lessons.

The old timers don't need it but for a new quilter, you couldn't ask for a better teacher. Also I don't believe the store is the marketer of the series.

I took one class with Quilt University and did not think I got enough from it.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:06 PM

It can't be any worse than paying for a quilting class and then finding out it was a waste of money. I went to one that was billed as a quilting with your new machine class. It turned out to be about machine embroidery.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM

I paid for them and learned a lot, like the idea you can go back and look again as much as you want. I have a lot of sewing experience, some quilting experience but learned lots of tips to do things better. I think they are worth the money.