Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you used a curve master?  Curved piecing >

Have you used a curve master? Curved piecing

Have you used a curve master? Curved piecing

Old 11-26-2016, 05:16 AM

Default Have you used a curve master? Curved piecing

I just started doing curved piecing and I ran across someone recommending the curve master. Is it worth getting?
http://www.justcurves.biz/index.htm
Old 11-26-2016, 05:36 AM
Administrator

it must work for some people.
they've been on the market for years.

the design is good, in principle.
however, it didn't make any credible difference for me.
i think it would work much better if they made it from metal instead of light-weight plastic.

i gave mine away.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I know some folks swear by them, but I do curved piecing with just a regular foot. Look on you tube for different techniques and try them before spending the money.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:55 AM

I have one, used it once..then just decided to "jump in"---- no big deal, just sew slowly, don't force any matching, it's amazing how if you just guide the two pieces, they will meet. But I must say, I do put a finger crease into center edge of "smile" and "pout", and pin those together to start....watch a few videos and try.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I have one, used it once..then just decided to "jump in"---- no big deal, just sew slowly, don't force any matching, it's amazing how if you just guide the two pieces, they will meet. But I must say, I do put a finger crease into center edge of "smile" and "pout", and pin those together to start....watch a few videos and try.
I agree. I do the finger crease too.
I enjoy curved piecing and find it easy to do on my DSM.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:09 AM

I just recently purchased the Curve Master pressure foot to do a drunkards path and found it so simple to use. I took it to my quilt club to demo and they were all amazed at how quick and easy the curves come together without having to match anything. The curves sewed together perfectly.

I think for a new quilter such as myself, it completely took away my fear of curve piecing. For a more experienced quilter, I don't think they'd have a need for it.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
I just recently purchased the Curve Master pressure foot to do a drunkards path and found it so simple to use. I took it to my quilt club to demo and they were all amazed at how quick and easy the curves come together without having to match anything. The curves sewed together perfectly.

I think for a new quilter such as myself, it completely took away my fear of curve piecing. For a more experienced quilter, I don't think they'd have a need for it.
I think you are right about the fear factor! I used to jump in and get it done, usually came out quite well, now I find myself second guessing whatever I do, I spend way to much time "over thinking" instead of just getting started.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:53 PM

I bought one years ago and never really quite figured out how to make it work. I am much more experienced now and discovered that I can do the "curve master moves" without the curve master. The technique works just as well with the feet that came with my machine.

It does help to have a knee lift. I put the concave piece on top, and hold it up in the air so it's not touching the bottom (or convex) piece until it goes under the presser foot. As I sew, I pull with a tiny bit of resistance on the top piece, just barely stretching it. Occasionally I need to stop, lift the foot, adjust the patches, then continue sewing. This takes some practice, but I've gotten good enough that I know just how much to pull on the top piece. 99 times out of 100, I sew from start to finish without pinning and my edges match.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:26 AM

I bought the Curve Master at an annual quilt show and couldn't quite get the hang of it, so stopped back at his booth next year. He immediately knew my problem; I was not holding the top piece straight enough up in the air. Sure enough, that fixed my curves. I can never remember concave , convex, in, out, pout, smile, just top and bottom. Good luck. I will admit I've had just as good of luck with pinning and going slowly.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:43 AM

I love mine! I am an experienced sewer/quilter but my curve master foot allows me to do drunkard's path and winding ways blocks very easily. Well worth the money.