Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you used the Hobbs Tuscany silk batting? >

Have you used the Hobbs Tuscany silk batting?

Have you used the Hobbs Tuscany silk batting?

Old 10-25-2014, 09:50 AM

Default Have you used the Hobbs Tuscany silk batting?

I'm looking for batting that I can pre-wash for shrinkage, but that will come out softer and lighterweight than W&N after quilting. (I'm not worried about pre-shrinking the wool bats, because the anticipated shrinkage for those is minimal if washed in cold and air dried).

I received a Hobbs Tuscany silk bat in the mail yesterday. Both Hobbs and Quilters' Dream discourage pre-washing of their batting, but I was determined to pre-wash this, so I would know if it's a batting I'll be able to work with. The problem is, I didn't think to spread it out on the floor beforehand, so I don't have anything to compare the finished result with.

I proceeded with extreme caution, taking care to always support the weight of the bat when wet. I think it may have stretched some, as when I laid it out on the floor after drying, the edges were somewhat ruffled in places. My question is, to anyone who has used this batting, did it lie perfectly flat from the package, or were the edges somewhat ruffled to start with?

What batting other than W&N have you had success pre-washing for shrinkage, and what method did you use?
Old 10-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

I have been quilting almost 40 years and have never considered prewashing a batting! I purchase the batting I want for the project. There are so many wonderful battings on the market now to choose from and many do not shrink or if they do it is very minimal. Dream Wool and Hobbs wool are my favorite s, I have used the silk which was wonderful to work with. The package yours came in should have measurements so you can see if you stretched it out. I've never found a packaged batting that didn't have wavy edges. Even that dense, flat warm & natural has some edge stretching out of the packaging. I really do not understand all the extra work some choose to take on, today's battings are wonderful right out of the package.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The only reason I "wash" my batting is so that the wrinkles will relax......and that "wash" is really a dunk in cool water, a light spin dry, and a whoomph up over the tables in the sewing room at night to finish drying. The next day they are perfect for my use.

Jan in VA
Old 10-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I just don't see the need to prewash the quality battings available now. I use the Tuscany silk for a lot of my quilts. I really haven't paid any attention if the silk was wavy or flat. I recently used Tuscany Poly and like it much better.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:55 PM

My reason for pre-washing is to try and minimize the crinkle effect that comes from the batting shrinking after quilting. This bat measured the same width before washing as after, but was two inches shorter. If most bats do have wavy edges to begin with, then I guess there was no harm done in this case. I suppose I'd have to make two quilts using the same batting, one pre-washed and one not, to see if it makes enough difference to be worth the effort.

Thanks for your replies!
Old 10-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I have NEVER felt the need for pre-washing my batting. I have always preferred Hobbs 20/80. If a manufacturer tells one not to pre-wash, you are playing Russian roulette with ruining your batting.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

The Tuscanny poly does not shrink at all in the wash that I can tell. I think it is my newest favorite batting.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:10 AM

....never even considered "washing" batting.......that is carrying to the extreme...... If packaged batt has lots of wrinkles I would just open, drape over several chairs, couch, whatever overnite and proceed.....I personally lay over the rods of my L/A overnite........my own......I buy W&N by roll so there is only the center fold....eased out when quilting.....
Old 10-26-2014, 07:03 AM

Yes, would Never consider washing before. I don't pre wash my fabric either. I love, love the crinkles. Aren't we all funny with our many, different preferences?
Old 10-26-2014, 08:23 AM

to get the "wrinkles" out I have put the batting in the dryer and run it on air for 10 minutes or so.