Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you used silk batting? >

Have you used silk batting?

Have you used silk batting?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:23 PM

Default Have you used silk batting?

I had a sample of silk batting I purchased at a quilt show years ago. It is true what they say, "It quilts like butter." Unfortunately, the company I purchased the sample from is no longer in business. I'm going to hand quilt a queen size Tennessee Waltz and just found a Hobbs, 90% silk, 10% polyester batting I can buy on-line. I had it in my mind to buy the 100% silk. Have you tried the 90/10? Or do you have a source for 100% silk?
Thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:30 AM

I've found one called Molleton here, but it's not going to be much use to you unless you can find a US stockist as the shipping would be quite steep. Remember the prices are in UK £, so you'll have to convert to $.
However I have used this company several times and you could email them for a supplier, or I would be happy to phone them for you for more details.
Good luck!

Forgot to say - we call batting 'wadding'.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 AM

I love silk batting. I have used it in a couple of king size quilts and it is so much easier to quilt on domestic machine. Used the scraps in a wall hanging which I hand quilted. It was lighter to handle. It was easier on the shoulders with less weight.
The needle did slide through with less effort.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

the "Dream Company" has a couple really nice Silk battings- their 'Dream Orient' is a silk/bamboo blend that is fabulous! I like it a little better than the 100% silk- just adds a little 'more' to it. i love all of the Dream battings!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 AM

I am totally envious. From all I have heard about silk batting I know I would love it. My kids live in Wisconsin so the silk would be ideal for them. I know I would love a quilt with it too.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Is silk batting better for warmer or cooler climates?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 AM

I have a silk comforter with 5 pounds of silk in it. Just like down, it is made for colder climates. A silk batt would be lighter and thinner so would be comparable to most batts but much lighter.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
I've found one called Molleton here, but it's not going to be much use to you unless you can find a US stockist as the shipping would be quite steep. Remember the prices are in UK £, so you'll have to convert to $.
However I have used this company several times and you could email them for a supplier, or I would be happy to phone them for you for more details.
Good luck!

Forgot to say - we call batting 'wadding'.
Thanks so much, Knitette, for your offer of help! I just checked the website and found the price for the size I need but was not able to calculate the postage. I'm sure you're right, shipping would be cost prohibitive. I'll check out some of the other possibilities first and get in touch with you if a phone call might help me. Thanks, again!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
the "Dream Company" has a couple really nice Silk battings- their 'Dream Orient' is a silk/bamboo blend that is fabulous! I like it a little better than the 100% silk- just adds a little 'more' to it. i love all of the Dream battings!
Thank you, ckcowl! I might see if I can get a sample, or maybe even be bold and order the size I need and take the plunge.

Thanks everyone else, also.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:42 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Hobbs-Tuscany-.../dp/B00D2B5SVK

This has 90% silk and 10% poly They sell it for 14.98 per yard and is 96 inches wide