Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you used the Homemade "Photo setting Solution" >

Have you used the Homemade "Photo setting Solution"

Have you used the Homemade "Photo setting Solution"

Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 AM

Default Have you used the Homemade "Photo setting Solution"

Have been following a thread here about a Memory Quilt that is all done and now the maker is worried about the photos surviving the washing machine....Spent half the morning doing research on this issue. Did discover again, the product Bubble Jet set 2000 solution, that you can order from Amazon, for like $20 (product and shipping) where you presoak your fabric in this solution and then print your pictures....Also found a Homemade recipe for also presoaking your fabric, it is a combination of Alum, Washing Soda, Fabric Softener and water.....

So my question is have you used this homemade recipe, and does it work, sounds so cheap and simple....hard to believe it could work.......

If you have used the product Bubble Jet Set, about/approximately how many soaking sheets do you get per bottle......5,10,20....more ??????
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM

why not experiment? If you think this is something you will do a lot, I would trust your own experience and think it worth the cost. you can use those ingredients for other things if it doesn't work.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM

I have a bottle of the bubble jet set I bought to use, it says it will do 3 yards of 45 inch fabric.. so according to my calculation I should get about 45 sheets of printer fabric. Way cheaper than the packages of 12 I've been buying at Joanns.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:13 PM

I had an "emergency" need for the soaking solution recently for a baby quilt label. I did find the home-made recipe online and went to my local drug store and asked them where I could find "alum" and got the deer in the headlight stare. Not knowing anything more about it (ie is there a brand name?) I walked out and ordered the Bubble Jet 2000 and paid extra for fast shipping (which was NOT fast). That was only about a month ago, and I have no idea if she's washed the quilt again, and if so how many times. I plan on asking her these questions at some point in the future though so I know if it's worth it or not.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Alum would be in the spice section of the grocery store. My mother used to use it in a few recipes -- baking, I think. It's a white powder. Not sure what quantity would be required for photos, though. Typically you buy alum in one of those undersized spice containers that hold maybe a couple of ounces.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I had an "emergency" need for the soaking solution recently for a baby quilt label. I did find the home-made recipe online and went to my local drug store and asked them where I could find "alum" and got the deer in the headlight stare. Not knowing anything more about it (ie is there a brand name?) I walked out and ordered the Bubble Jet 2000 and paid extra for fast shipping (which was NOT fast). That was only about a month ago, and I have no idea if she's washed the quilt again, and if so how many times. I plan on asking her these questions at some point in the future though so I know if it's worth it or not.
Found Alum in the spice section of Walmart today,,,,,and washing soda in the laundry aisle
Old 10-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Alum would be in the spice section of the grocery store. My mother used to use it in a few recipes -- baking, I think. It's a white powder. Not sure what quantity would be required for photos, though. Typically you buy alum in one of those undersized spice containers that hold maybe a couple of ounces.
Found out today the alum is used in pickle making to keep them crisp !!!
Old 10-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Ah, yes, pickles! That would have been my second guess! I think I have seen it in old sugar cookie recipes too.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 PM

You may want to check out Caryl Bryer Fallert's website www.bryerpatch.com/. She has a lot of informaiton out there and hints.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
You may want to check out Caryl Bryer Fallert's website www.bryerpatch.com/. She has a lot of informaiton out there and hints.
Lots and lots of great information, thank you.