Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you worked out of your "Comfort Zone? >

Have you worked out of your "Comfort Zone?

Have you worked out of your "Comfort Zone?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 AM

I feel like everything I do is out of my comfort zone, because I'm so new to quilting and because I don't like doing the same thing twice. I tumble from one project to the next like a demented bumblebee.

The projects I have going now include the Barbara Brackman Civil War Block of the Week, a floral paper pieced top, English paper pieced double wedding ring, a floral needle-turn applique, a Drunkard's Path of my own design that mixes two sizes of blocks, a vintage Dresden plate with trapunto and a bunch of "regular" patchwork tops and some antique/vintage tops that just need quilting.

Now, I'm thinking of starting a hand-quilted white linen and wool wholecloth.

This is both the blessing and the curse of being ADD. :mrgreen:
Old 01-22-2011, 10:55 AM

I'm going to be. First with the Zelda game stained glass window quilting project. One of the windows has a lot of different shades of brown (the fictional character the window depicts belongs to a tribe of rock people, the Gorons)...I don't think I've ever worked with ONE shade of brown in anything let alone like 10 of them. Hopefully very soon I'll be working on the quilt for a friend of the family who has cancer. Seeing that he likes the Packers I have decided to make the quilt in yellow and green. I like green, but am not a big fan of yellow.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:11 PM

I have often been out of my comfort zone since I started quilting last June. I recently finished a teddy bear quilt & I learned how to use a walking foot and the FMQ foot. It was my first time to use either one & I didn't have time for trials because the baby was due & I had to ship it! I did pretty good! I'm proud of how it came out. I hope the kids like it too! My learning curve stays at vertical!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:23 PM

I don't mind working out of my comfort zone as far as blocks, but in my opinion, if you don't like the colors you're working with, you're not going to like the completed quilt as much as you would if it were in colors that you like.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:31 PM

It seems like I am always out of my comfort zone,lol. I barely know how to use ky machine, so any related activity is a challenge to me, but I do enjoy the experiences. I am a believer that getting out of one's comfort zone not only introduces us to new things that otherwise we may not have realized we enjoy, but also gives us a great sense of accomplishment. Good for you :thumbup:
Old 01-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I feel like everything I do is out of my comfort zone, because I'm so new to quilting and because I don't like doing the same thing twice. I tumble from one project to the next like a demented bumblebee.

This is both the blessing and the curse of being ADD. :mrgreen:
Lol, this is me too.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:18 AM

I try to do something new in every quilt I make. Challenges the mind.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 AM

I'm with Lea. For "planned" as opposed to "scrappy" quilts I try to do something new to me, either a new block design, technique or colorway that I am not normally attracted to. Sometimes it works and I'm thrilled that I tried it, but there have been some real duds as well.

Diana
Old 01-23-2011, 06:15 AM

When I made DDs Q size using 2 blocks & 2 colors, that was out of the zone for me.Don't intend to do it twice.Color is a bear for me. If I don't like it, hard to make a 2nd block :D & I have a drawer full to prove it.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I try to do something new in every quilt I make. Challenges the mind.
me too, including trying to add some color that I'm not always fond of.