Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Haven't got a clue! >

Haven't got a clue!

Haven't got a clue!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:11 PM

i ordered quilt for kids kits, first quilts i did, helped me to learn basics. also their wesite has free pattern downloads. :lol:
Old 05-17-2010, 03:20 PM

Welcome! Glad you joined us! I agree with starting small....maybe a throw for the couch or a baby quilt...even place mats are a good place to start. If you jump into a big project it could get overwhelming! Do you already sew? What kind of machine do you have? If you don't have one already, invest in a 1/4" foot....It will make things a lot easier!

Ditter
Old 05-17-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by isewhegolf
Might I introduce you to my very good and faithful friend. We spend a lot of time together and I find him absolutely essential in quiltmaking. His name is Jack...Jack the Ripper! Buy a ripper that feels good in your hand; cheap ones break and often make holes due to burrs.
This is so funny, my much used seam ripper is also Jack!! I keep it by my sewing machine at all times. It has a twin I use away from the machine.... :lol:

Ditter
Old 05-17-2010, 03:56 PM

good luck it looks like you have recieved a lot of ideas for getting started and remember you can always come here and get help if you get stuck on something or start to get discouraged .
Old 05-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Welcome and I say start big! You may only do one, it might as well be one you like!! Here is a great site for tons of free quilt block patterns: quilterscache.com Super easy index and easy to follow instructions. Knock yourself out and have fun!
Old 05-17-2010, 05:59 PM

Nine patch is a great beginner block and has so many different looks. 9P and Log Cabin are my favorites. So simple and can be so lovely. You're going to love your quilting journey!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by lady1880s
I've never made a quilt before! So after 61 years of running around doing all the have to things! I'm gonna give it a try! Wish me luck! Now my question is "Where do I start?" Besides Jo Ann's and the local branch of my bank for the stuff to pay for it all.! So what's the quilt to start for a newbe?
Thanks everyone! for your answers in advance.
When I taught quilting the Rail Fence was the beginner's quilt. Easy to cut and sew. Even if you made a few errors it would pass the galloping horse test. [If you can't see it while on a galloping horse and looking at the quilt ... leave it alone.]

As for size. I disagree with starting small. Make the size you want and in the colors you really want. If you like that combo then you'll be more likely to finish and display it proudly.

If it's fun ... you'll finish it!
alice
Old 05-17-2010, 10:01 PM

I'm fairly new too, and one of my favorite things is my foot with the 1/4" guide on it. I couldn't imagine having to mark each seam or try to follow along a line on my machine.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:44 AM

I just realized that you live in Crystal River. I live in Tampa.
Have you been to the quilt shop in Trenton, FL? It's fabulous.

Sandi from Tampa
Old 05-18-2010, 03:52 AM

Okay, I read this thread yesterday, and watched the videos on the disappearing 9 patch, thank you! I went up stairs to try it, it looked so easy I thought , even I could do this, and guess what? Had so much fun I almost burned my meatloaf! This is an awesome project! Im going to start making my own charm packs so I can go crazy with this! I almost did a whole lap quilt top in just 2 hours!Maybe everyone will get one for Christmas this year!