Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: having difficulty for this pattern to work

having difficulty for this pattern to work

hi, I found this pattern on the web, used translator to change the instructions from russian to english, but I can not make it to work. maybe some of you might be able to work the kinks out of this. I know that this is a busy season so I do not expect anyone to jumbo on this project. My cousin asked me for a table topper for a round coffee table and I really like this one with all these options. Mainly, when I try to sew the rows they do not come straight. Not sure where made a mistake.
    thank you

http://roolen.blogspot.com/2010/10/blog-post_22.html

First of all, their measurements will be different from ours. I didn't see the pattern on Google:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=six+...topper&imgrc=_
    There are probably going to be in Y set in seams. You might see if you can find an easier pattern on Google. I made these last years out of charm squares:
    http://quilti.com/christmas-table-to...andy-quilting/
    You might also check out this Google search:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=char...acAWMQ_AUIOygB
    The only other option is to draw out the pattern to scale and add 1/4" seams. Good Luck.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I believe that I have resolve my problem, the diagonal cut has to be done on 60, and I at first just cut the rectangles on diagonal, not checking the angle.
    thank you for your suggestions

Blog Entries
    I found a similar pattern at Atkinson Designs, entitled Happy Holidays. Outside is the same. Center of yours looks like the one side of the triangle is divided in half. Think it would be easy to paper piece that.

What a pretty table topper. Thanks for sharing!

[QUOTE=Maureen NJ;7396758]I found a similar pattern at Atkinson Designs, entitled Happy Holidays. Outside is the same. Center of yours looks like the one side of the triangle is divided in half. Think it would be easy to paper piece that.[/QUOT

I have the pattern and it is very easy to make.

When I clicked on the blog site, on the top bar, I have Google translator, I clicked and got the English version, which is very, very clear to understand. Unfortunately, it cannot be downloaded, so I simply bookmarked it and I can then refer to it when I want to make this pattern. And yes, it is a 30-60 degree triangle, and there are some templates out there that have this dimension in various measurements.

[QUOTE=BeckySt;7396879]
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
    I found a similar pattern at Atkinson Designs, entitled Happy Holidays. Outside is the same. Center of yours looks like the one side of the triangle is divided in half. Think it would be easy to paper piece that.[/QUOT

I have the pattern and it is very easy to make.
    Yes, that's what I was going to say....close enough to pic to work, Easy peasy...get it and you will end up making a "few".... Ha, ha

I used Google translator and think the pattern should be okay, the designer is obviously very sharp as she has nailed the math. Will check on the Atkinson pattern also, absolutely gorgeous design. Thanks for bringing to our attention.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

I would strip sew each set of two fabrics together. They recommended starting with excess fabric, but if you do that, be sure to trim your strips to the proper size before cutting them. I have a Fons & Porter pyramid ruler that would make quick work of this project. They sell them at JAF (http://www.joann.com/fons-and-porter...r/9631417.html).

It is definitely tricky trying to cut 60 degrees using a standard ruler. This is one of those rare cases where I would spend the $10 and get the specialty ruler.

I have made several of these last year for gifts. They are very pretty & easy to make. Have fun!

Am I seeing six pieced diamonds around the outside and six on the inside?

Blog Entries
    Is that russian or ukrainian? Looks similar to ukrainian...
    Go forth and sew!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Anxious to see your finished topper!

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I played with this today, and found it easier to cut 3 1/2" strips each 16" long - 2 red/white - 1 gold/beige - 1 green/beige or light colour. Place the pairs together, RSF, and sew both long sides with 1/4" seam. Cut into 5 1/4" units. If you place the 60 degree line on your stitch line, you can Get 2 triangles from each unit. Remember with the red strips you need 6 to be a mirror image of the first 6, so I just turned 3 units over and cut in the same way from the back. Much better than cutting heaps of triangles. You will have 12 red?white (6 reversed), 6 gold/beige and 6 green/beige.

This is a really fun project, turn the triangles all ways to get different designs.

This looks like more fun than baking christmas cookies :-0