Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Having problems with stitch regulator and thread cutter >

Having problems with stitch regulator and thread cutter

Having problems with stitch regulator and thread cutter

Old 07-10-2018, 07:39 PM

Default Having problems with stitch regulator and thread cutter

Hi there!
I have a Juki 2010Q with gracie king frame and gracie stitch regulator. After quilting a row, moving machine to side, rolling up quilt and tightening I started sliding machine over to start my next row. Halfway through the quilt the automatic thread cutter randomly engaged, breaking needle.
I slid machine back to side and every 5-10 seconds when I move the machine the thread cutter goes. I've tried unplugging everything, checking all connections, making sure rails were clear etc..
At first I was happy because I thought there might be a way to engage the thread cutter like on the basic speed control box, but I haven't seen a way to use thread cutter with the stitch regulator. Obviously this won't work as it's randomly cutting thread and busting needles left and right.
Does anyone have any experience with this happening or troubleshooting ideas?
Thanks!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:02 AM

OH no! I have no idea as I don't have a LA. I thought I'd post here to give ya a bump. Maybe someone will see it & give ya info.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:21 AM

With Juki, the thread cutter is electronic. I think something in the stitch control is sending the wrong signal to the machine. No idea why. When I got my Grace frame, it came with a stitch regulator and I had to select what machine, and was told they were very machine specific. I didn't need one as the machine I bought had one, so I think I selected one for Janome as they didn't have them for any machine I owned at that time. It's probably still sitting in a box somewhere in my sewing room . . .

My Juki2010 shuts off my AC on me. I have no idea what type of signal it is sending, and have not been able to figure out any connection to how I am sewing and when it will do it. My big embroidery machine with all it's electronics does not do it.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:38 AM

Was doing a bit of looking, I'd guess that you may have the wrong regulator. Since Juki uses a signal from the foot pedal to activate the thread cutting, it's real easy to see how this could happen if the regulartor is sending a different signal.

It gets kind of misleading on some of the seller's sight as they say "fits these machines" and have a big list, but then they all say "state what machine you have" because it is not a universal unit that fits all the machine, but that there is a different one for each. And it could be switch settings within the regulator that are different too. I've not been able to identify any differences externally on them. Does your have a label on the back stating what machine it is set to work with?

If you bought it new, I'd send it back. I'd guess it's either defective or it's not the correct one.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:47 AM

I would be looking for a phone number. The best follow-up service would be priceless in a situation such as this.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:32 PM

Hello, Did you ever resolve the Juli 2010Q with gracie frame and gracie stitch regulator activating the thread cutter. I believe you are right the foot pedal connection to the regulator is sending a signal to cut the thread. I am having this very same issue, going through all the troubleshooting steps, even including checking jumper connections on the stitch regulator. No help in any of my efforts.Just wondered if you had discovered a fix.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:47 PM

Would it work to disable the electronics? My machine started doing really weird stuff and in the process of taking it to be fixed, found out that if you remove the top and unplug the connection near the bobbin wider, it totally disables all the electroncs, but the machine works fine. I decided it was going to be too spendy to get it fixed so I'm using mine as a fully mechanical machine now. The bobbin winder still works fine too.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:07 AM

Hello, I had this very exact same problem and equipment. Tried everything finally realized the rubber round stitch circles that run along the track carriage system, (the blue ones there are two, Gracie calls it the encoder, not the metal ones) that send the signal to the stitch controller were up in the air and not make contact with the carriage. This was sending spurious signals to the stitch regulator and activating the thread cutter. Also noticed that when I moved slowly stitches kept getting bigger instead of slower and everything was clunky. FIX is to move those rubber sensors, the encoders, so they make contact with the carriage. Here is the paragraph from the instructions: "Angle the encoder until it touches the track and tighten the Socket Head Screw until the encoder is securely attached so that it can’t wiggle. Make sure that the encoder wheel is the only part that contacts any part of the carriage. When the bottom plate is sitting upright, the encoder should be angled up slightly, so that the encoder’s wheel touches track on the quilting frame and the spring on the encoder is partially compressed."