Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Having a senior moment!!! >

Having a senior moment!!!

Having a senior moment!!!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 AM

It looks great.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by callen View Post
Love your quilt & kudos to you for doing this. I am looking for a charity so I can do something similar but we don't have a PL here in Canada (none that I know of, at least). So far, I have donated to one of our "long term" care facilities & hope to do more. Congrats to ALL who make quilts for charity causes.
I don't know my Canadian geography very well, but I did find Project Linus in Canada!

https://sites.google.com/site/projectlinuscanada/home

This website says they are in Manitoba. Not sure if that's around the corner, or across the country from you, but still thought I'd share.

I also found this "Canada Stitches" website. They give links to several other charity organizations that distribute quilts.

http://canadastitches.com/?page_id=113

You can also check with your local Quilt Guild, and I found one in your town! Haven't really read through their website, but they do mention doing charity quilts.

http://timminsquiltersguild.webs.com/

Not sure if you've watched very many Jenny Doan tutorials through MSQC, but one of her tutorials made me chuckle. Ok, they ALL make me chuckle. I can't remember which video it was, but she talked about making charity quilts. She laughed and said something about how once a quilter has filled up their own home with as many quilts as they need (or want!), next they start making quilts for friends and family. Once they have as many quilts as they need, we start making quilts for charity because we love the art of quilt-making so much. I buy fabric, batting, thread and other supplies whenever they are on sale. If I'm not making a quilt for a friend or relative about to have a baby, I'm working on a charity quilt. Obviously every person who posts on this forum is a talented quilter. I've been doing this for a long time, but I am far from being a master quilter. This is definitely an addiction, but I have no intentions of joining a 12-step program.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 AM

Your top turned out adorable. Some little girl will certainly love it. Here is more of my two cents. Since most of us who quilt are women we tend to make quilts that we or other females would like. Having been the step-mother of two boys I became very familiar with the local ER. I try and make all of my Linus donations either neutral or male oriented. While many girls get sick a lot more boys end up in the ER having stitches and bones set etc. As we all know most males make the worst patients. I have received many a thank you note from a family who had to take their son to the ER for stitches, bone setting or shots etc. They usually thank me for making a quilt for their child that took their mind off of all that stuff. Your quilt would be just as great with a male oriented print included.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:13 PM

I usually try to make at least half (or more) of my project Linus quilts for boys or neutral, but this Minnie Mouse fabric was calling my name and I just had to make this one for a little girl. Since I enjoyed this one so much! I will probably make several of them. I've got some cute truck fabric, car fabric, turtle fabric and fish fabric. Hopefully I've got something to go with them.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 PM

They are also called giving your brain mini vacations. I take them often. Love your quilt. I am new enough that I would need specifics for cutting and sewing but it looks great and I love the large blocks.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:26 PM

Love this pattern and your fabrics are lovely. It turned out beautifully.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 AM

Love the pattern and it's wonderful what you're doing for Project Linus. I'm impressed with how you laid out the pattern on drafting paper and were able to get it down. Great!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:33 PM

I love this!! Hope you don't mind but I am "borrowing" the design for my hospice quilts I make. Always looking for something new and easy beside 5" squares!!