Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Having a senior moment!!! >

Having a senior moment!!!

Having a senior moment!!!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:17 AM

Default Having a senior moment!!!

I'm drawing up this simple pattern to make a charity quilt. I just saw a copy of it in the last day or two on Facebook, but can't remember where. Every other block was a solid. I've colored those green. I got the first row of the 4 HST blocks drawn, but I can't remember how this radiates out from the center. I hate having senior moments. If I knew the name of the quilt! I would google it. How do I arrange the remaining pink blocks?

HELP!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 11:53 AM

As a person who has made several hundred Linus Quilts I wouldn't bother with complicated piecing. If you already have blocks cut just maybe alternate a solid green with plain white and then a red until it is as big as you want it to be. The little label that we sew onto the finished blankets show Linus clutching a quilt to the side of his head while he sucks his thumb. Most of us had a child who did something similar with a favorite blankie or even a towel. The blankets are meant to comfort when a child is in a scarey location like the ER or a hospital room. I rarely do much if any piecing on my Linus quilts. I just use a childish print on the front and back it with flannel. I have gotten many letters from grateful parents that said the Linus blanket was just what was needed to help their child get through the most frightening time in their young lives. One lady even sent me a check for $50. I turned it over to our chapter for expenses like the printing of the tags we attach to each quilt etc. Ironically our chapter is located in a county outside of the Baltimore, Maryland area. We only have one hospital and we make sure they get more than 100 of our quilts each month. The rest of them go to the more numerous hospitals in the city of Baltimore. they are more than grateful.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:33 PM

I figured it out. This will be for my local project Linus. The large blocks will finish at 8", so it's hardly a complicated quilt. I only discovered PL a little over a year ago, and it is now my favorite charity. My group has donated over 33,000 blankets since it started just 10 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 12:43 PM

That will make a nice quilt! And I'm sure it will be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Love it! make sure and post pics when you get it done.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:57 PM

Congrats to you and your quilt group. WOW
Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Your drafting is done very well. Neat design. I would have made flying geese the way EB does to cut down on the bulk of HST. Good Luck !!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:31 PM

I got it all pieced! Forgot to take my iPad upstairs with me, so no pictures just yet. The 8" blocks have a pale pink background with little Minnie Mouse's on it. For the HST blocks, the arrow part is with very small red/white polka dots (Minnie Mouse style). The background on the HST blocks is a solid pale pink. I also used the red/white polka dot fabric for the border. Some little girl is going to be very happy with this quilt!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 PM

You are truly amazing!!!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Your drafting is done very well. Neat design. I would have made flying geese the way EB does to cut down on the bulk of HST. Good Luck !!
Dang! I didn't think about doing flying geese. I had just gotten several new rulers from Deb Tucker and was wanting to use my new Tucker Trimmer. I want to make a Boy version of this same pattern, and I can use my new Wing Clipper tool for that one.