Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
having trouble making my sandwich with a bigger quilt >

having trouble making my sandwich with a bigger quilt

having trouble making my sandwich with a bigger quilt

Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 AM

Default having trouble making my sandwich with a bigger quilt

Can someone help me with my problem. I have done lap quilts with out any problem but for some reason I am having trouble with the bigger quilt. I have put pins at the center of top but after I put the warm and natural over the backing for some reason I can't seem to line up the edges of the quilt I am so frustrated. I'm sure its because the center is larger the the backing. Can anyone help me figure out an easy way to get everything lined up? I would really appreciate it.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 AM

There have been some great threads on this board about people's favorite systems. I have not tried anything major except the Elmer's glue, which worked great. I loved the videos on Sharon S'ss system and plan on trying it.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 AM

I'm not sure I understand your problem. I make my backing 8-10 inches larger than my top, then cut the batting 5-7 inches larger than the top. This allows the back and batting to "snuggle up" when you quilt. Then I square the entire thing after it is quilted.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

if you don't have floor space, maybe a king size bed would work. or the driveway if all else fails. I've done them all. your backing needs to be larger for sure. you can lay it down, then the batting, then the top. pin the corners if you are going to move it somewhere else to actually baste it. I use a folding table. good luck!!
Old 06-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I mark my backing and the quilt top in quarters. Use a pencil to put registration marks in the seam allowances in the center of all 4 sides and this allows you to line up the marks on the top and back to keep everything straight. I always make my backing 2 inches larger all around than the top. I put on my knee pads and use the floor for large sandwiches.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

I am also not 100% sure I understand your question. I think that you are saying you lay out the backing, and put the batting over it, then can't line up the top because the middle layer (i.e. the batting) is bigger than the backing so you can't see the edges. As someone stated, your backing fabric should be at least 2 or 3 inches larger than your top ON ALL SIDES. In this case, a bit more is better. when you quilt, the backing fabric can get taken up a bit. After you cut the backing, the batting should be cut an inch or so smaller than the backing (but still larger than the top), so when you lay your batting on the backing, you will see a half inch or so of the backing peeking out around the edges.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

I don't know that I understand your problem completely- but your backing and batting should be a few inches all the way around larger than your quilt top- then you lay out the backing (if using a floor you can tape your backing down smooth) then lay the batting on top of the backing- smooth it and secure it around the edges- then center the top over the backing/batting layers- smooth- then start pinning if using the pin method of basting- start in the center and place the pins in a grid pattern about every 4"- then pin all around the edges of the top well- then you should be able to remove the tape and pick up your sandwich to start quilting. after the quilting is completed the backing/batting is trimmed when you square up your quilt- then you add your binding.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:11 AM

What might help you get everything 'centered' vs 'lined up' so you can sandwich....try putting a really, really large safety pin (like diaper pin size - if anyone even remembers what THEY are!) in the CENTER of your backing. Find the center by folding in quarters. Follow the same process with your batting and then top. Place all the centering pins on top of one another. Then put a couple of pins through the whole sandwich to keep things in place so you can remove the pins from the backing and batting. Then begin your smoothing and basting process.

As long as your batting and backing are both larger than your quilt top, this should give you even distribution of the excess batting/backing around your top.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
What might help you get everything 'centered' vs 'lined up' so you can sandwich....try putting a really, really large safety pin (like diaper pin size - if anyone even remembers what THEY are!) in the CENTER of your backing. Find the center by folding in quarters. Follow the same process with your batting and then top. Place all the centering pins on top of one another. Then put a couple of pins through the whole sandwich to keep things in place so you can remove the pins from the backing and batting. Then begin your smoothing and basting process.

As long as your batting and backing are both larger than your quilt top, this should give you even distribution of the excess batting/backing around your top.
Thats a great idea. And yes, I do remember what diaper pins are, haven't seen them in a long time.