Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
He doesn't know! >

He doesn't know!

He doesn't know!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

That is great that your husband wants to enjoy your hobby. My best friend has taken me a few times to a LQS and is making an effort to learn the process of picking out fabrics. I enjoy his company.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:51 PM

I think you should still use it for him, makes it special.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm not sure I understand why you need to make another backing....? As I was reading this, I giggled to myself thinking about his reaction when he sees "his" quilt and realizes he actually sewed some of it himself.
DITTO,it will make him happy to see his 'work '.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:52 AM

My husband really takes an interest in my quilting. He doesn't sew but helps pick out fabrics for quilts I make for our children and grandchildren. He also signs the quilt label that indicates the fabric was selected by him.

I made him a quilt last year for Christmas. Fortunately I'm a much earlier riser than he is so every morning I'd get up early and head for my sewing room. Near the time he got up I tuck everything away. I had enough other projects going for Christmas he was none the wiser.

I really appreciate his support of my hobby which gives me so much pleasure.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:25 AM
sap

Originally Posted by ShowMama View Post
My DH did that to me once. I designed an outdoorsy quilt for him and secretly worked on it for ten years. Wanting to finally finish it for Christmas, I needed to get the last borders on. They were made up of scrappy flying geese. So one night I sat down to finish them, thinking "it will be OK...he NEVER comes into the sewing room." Well, guess what!? Of course THAT was the time he came in to see what I was doing! He sat right across from me at the sewing table and asked what I was making. I nonchalantly said, "Oh, just some borders." He said they were pretty with all the different fabrics, but unbelievably never asked what quilt they were for. Whew!

He got his quilt for Christmas and was amazed when I told him that, while I mostly worked on it at retreats or when he was out of town, he had actually watched me sewing on part of it.
I've had that happen to me many times. I tell them it's for another member of the family when they ask if I'd make one just like that for them. they are never the wiser, and give me their opinions about this or that. you should see their faces when it's gifted to them.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:26 AM

Hahahahaha....!!!!! I too was in the process of making a quilt for my DH, who never comes into my sewing room but kept showing up while working on HIS quilt. When I gave it to him for his birthday, he asked me when I had time to make it! He wasn't even paying attention, and all of those "surprise" visits into my sewing room I was hoping he wouldn't notice! He see's me constantly working on some quilt in the frame (hand quilting is all I do). Once the quilt has been washed and prepared for use, placed on our bed, he asks me where the quilt came from. I don't think they pay attention for the most part!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 AM

I would use the back. It will be a fun surprise for him. You have to be careful what you say about your projects. I went to a workshop with Kaye England. When I got home, my husband wanted to see what I had worked on. He asked who it was for and I said, "oh, it's for you." I thought he would ignore the remark--no way every few days he would ask "how's my quilt coming?" I did finish it and gave it to him.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:13 AM

Your DH wants to re-do your sewing room !! He's a keeper for sure. Just tell him, "great idea".
Old 10-09-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm not sure I understand why you need to make another backing....? As I was reading this, I giggled to myself thinking about his reaction when he sees "his" quilt and realizes he actually sewed some of it himself.
My thoughts exactly...I'm sure it will be even more special because of his participation...funny too
Old 10-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Wish my DH was as understanding about my fabric purchases, even when I'm spending my "mad" money earned from craft fairs and word-of-mouth sales.