Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Headsmack moment  or How to feel real stupid.... >

Headsmack moment or How to feel real stupid....

Headsmack moment or How to feel real stupid....

Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 AM

I'm glad you discovered what the problem was. I had a problem with my machine a couple of days ago. I kept getting a message to rethread my machine. I changed bobbins, changed thread, cleaned out the bobbin case, changed stitches, turned machine off for a few minutes, changed the needle and still was getting the same message. So, I packed my machine up and took it to the repair shop 50 miles away bracing myself for a period of time without my favorite machine and a $100 repair bill. I got there and the repairman got the same message and after a bit of fiddling around he got it fixed. He said the take up spring was stuck. He did a quick look over to make sure everything else was in working order, told me "no charge" and sent me on my way. I was just thrilled!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 AM

Glassquilt, do you have a pattern available for the teal block? I love it. Flynuts2
Old 10-18-2011, 06:39 AM

Soooooo happy you figured out what was wrong! When reading your post I almost started crying for you when you said you took it all apart and started putting away your sewing supplies. That's like ripping our hearts out!!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 AM

Don't you just love those moments?
Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 AM

Headsmacking moment....love that term...
So with a Size 18 needle you were drilling holes...
good thing on DH shirt and not your quilt....
Positive flip side....
Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC
I'm trying to get into the habit of putting a post-it note on my machine indicating what size and type of needle is in the machine at the time. It's sort of a low-tech version of those things they sell that you velcro onto the machine (where you move the slider to the needle size). Even the magnifier on the needle boxes isn't quite enough for me anymore... I can never see the numbers on the needles LOL.
I have always done this. Low tech or not it saves a lot of trouble, and you are able to return the needle taken from the machine to its proper slot in the needle case!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kath12
I'm glad you discovered what the problem was. I had a problem with my machine a couple of days ago. I kept getting a message to rethread my machine. I changed bobbins, changed thread, cleaned out the bobbin case, changed stitches, turned machine off for a few minutes, changed the needle and still was getting the same message. So, I packed my machine up and took it to the repair shop 50 miles away bracing myself for a period of time without my favorite machine and a $100 repair bill. I got there and the repairman got the same message and after a bit of fiddling around he got it fixed. He said the take up spring was stuck. He did a quick look over to make sure everything else was in working order, told me "no charge" and sent me on my way. I was just thrilled!
What a wonderful guy!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:51 AM

I love your machine names.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:55 AM

I recently had to change the size needle I wanted to work with. I realized that with my memory (none) that I wouldn't remember to change back. I wrote the needle size on a piece of painter's tape and taped it to my machine to remind myself to change back. I find I have to write notes about most everything nowadays. You should see my kitchen cabinets. My daughter is getting worried about me.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by puck116
I recently had to change the size needle I wanted to work with. I realized that with my memory (none) that I wouldn't remember to change back. I wrote the needle size on a piece of painter's tape and taped it to my machine to remind myself to change back. I find I have to write notes about most everything nowadays. You should see my kitchen cabinets. My daughter is getting worried about me.
Tell her not to worry yet....its when you forget to write the notes that she needs to worry....I also have notes all over my house. notes upstairs- about what to do downstairs...notes about winding the clocks, and putting the trash out.....Don't need a note to remember to quilt !!!!