Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heat Press batting tape

Heat Press batting tape

I would love to use up some of my large leftover pieces of batting. I save the smaller pieces to make practice sandwiches, but has anyone tried the HeatPress tape that fuses two pieces together (side by side)? I use Hobbs 80/20. I was thinking of taping two pieces length wise for a baby quilt. Thanks for your input!

Blog Entries
    i think it must be sewn on well though because it might not be permanent. read the directions. i've used it myself and not had any problems.

I use this product all the time . Love it.

Banned
    I just do a hand tailor stitch to hold them together. If you are quilting reasonably well, it stays put. I hand quilt and don't NEED any added bulk to stitch through.

I use it all the time and it works well.

Haven't used the tape because I just butt the two pieces together and zigzag stitch them together. It doesn't look pretty but once it is in a quilt you will never know the seam was there.

I butt the pieces together and stitch with a wide zig-zag. Works great!
    Melanie

http://www.quiltersenjoycolor.blogspot.ca

https://www.instagram.com/melanie_rudy_art
    https://melanierudy.com/

I've used it frequently. It seems to stay put once pressed together, although it can be pulled apart before quilting the quilt.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I have used it. The problem I have is I forget which side is the fusible and sometimes the iron is too hot. It does stay put
    Alyce

I use it. I don't like sewing batting.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I started out by hand stitching the batting strips together. Then I tried the batting tape but it seemed like a lot of trouble to line the batting up on a flat surface where I could iron on the tape, and I didn't always have the tape available. Now I just zigzag the two pieces together. It's quick and easy, doesn't show when the quilt is finished, doesn't add any bulk, and the only expense is the thread.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I use it but I do press it on and then do a serpentine down the length of the tape to hold it together.
    I found I was stretching the batting when trying to just sew large pieces together, fought this but couldn't seem to change the habit. I was able to overcome that by taping first.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    I use it and love it!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use it without any problem. I iron it on in strips about 24" long so that I can keep it straight while I put it on. Just remember that poly batting is a no-no with the iron. I've used it without problems on Hobb 80/20, Pellon Legacy and Hobbs Washable wool bat . also, you can cut "French Fusible" (the stuff that looks like a lightweight Knit with fusible on it ) into strips to use--but the tape is about the same price and less hassle.

When I sometime sew bat pieces together it seems like I end up with them being "bunchy".

Blog Entries
    I use all the time. First I butt 2 battings together, press on the tape, then sew a wide stretch zig zag to reinforce it. Then I found it a tad pricey, so i switched to fusible tricot and could control the width better. Never had any problems with it.

it works fine, but i find it an extra expense, so I don't bother.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I've not used it because machine sewing pieces together works fine for me. I use the zig zag stitch that takes stitches as it zigs and zags, so I don't get any bunching along the two edges. It stays perfectly flat as I join the edges, and you can't tell at all that the batting is pieced, even by running your hand over it.

I make my own iron on 'tape' to join pieces of batting with strips of fusible knit interfacing that I bought from Nancy's Notions. I cut mine on the bias and made it two inches wide. I over lap the batting pieces a little bit and cut through both sides.
    Doing that makes the edges fit exactly with no bulging or blank areas. Then tape it and press. It is very inexpensive to do it this way.

Blog Entries
    for me, i didn't like the tape. i use my joiner foot and zig zag them together. to keep them fed evenly, i will pin them together in a few places with a little overlap. as i get to the pin, jut pull the pin out
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I HAD to use it on battingthat I didn't make long enough...it was already partially quilted. Yep, a 'duh' moment. The iron on tape worked fine. Just have to be aware of content of your batting.
    Charlie DiSante

Keep a watch at online clearance sales at wholesalers. I bought 8 two inch rolls for what 2 rolls cost now. I never have to buy it again.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have not used that brand yet.

I recently used a fusible tape that doesn't need ironing. It is Wet N gone (by Floriani).

I simply cut about 6" strips and go across the seam in about 4 places. It's easy since you can place the tape on the bottom seam edge (facing up) of one piece and then butt the second piece together. You can add pieces on the top join if needed.

The tape helps hold the batting together and while doing a quick stitch with a wide zig zag. Plus the tape layer on the bottom helps the batting slide through the feed dogs. The tape is water soluble so washes out later.

I use it all the time. Works great.

I use it all the time. Got my last order thru Nancy's Notion and ordered a 100yd. roll. Don't know if she still carries it or not. I use all my fairly decent size batting scraps and tape them together and hang thru up for later use. I'll add the size it is at the time so when I need batting I'll look to see what I have available or combine 2 together if necessary. Smaller pieces I'll keep for little wallhangings 12" or less or for practice pieces on the DSM.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I use it but I do press it on and then do a serpentine down the length of the tape to hold it together.
    I found I was stretching the batting when trying to just sew large pieces together, fought this but couldn't seem to change the habit. I was able to overcome that by taping first.

Jan in VA
    I should have mentioned that I always use my walking foot when joining the batting. I think that helps keep it even.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast