Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Height ?!? >

Height ?!?

Height ?!?

Old 02-27-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
My very comfortable cutting table top is right below my belly button, if that's any help. I measure where my elbow comes, and the table top is about 2 inches below that. I think if the table were any higher, it would be difficult for me to cut 22" of fabric at a time.

I like to sew and quilt standing up, so am in the process of making a foam insulation "table" for my machine. This will go on top of my cutting table and should be perfect for me (surface will be just slightly above my elbow height). I have found that I can machine quilt much longer standing up than I can sitting down, and I do not develop the lower back pain and tightness between the shoulder blades that used to plague me when I sat down to sew for too long at a time.
I also sew and quilt standing at my cutting table. I don't do it all the time. I sit and piece on my #1 sewing machine, which is upstairs; I keep 2 machines (and a serger) downstairs near my cutting table. I often plonk one up on the end of my cutting table and sew and machine quilt there while standing up. Also, I very much don't like to hand quilt in a hoop or on a frame; instead I lay the quilt out on the table and do long straight stuff (using painters' tape as guides) while standing up. Then I do small stuff such as little blocks and triangles, upstairs where I can twist and turn the quilt in any direction I need it to be.