Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello Everyone >

Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone

Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 AM

I took a basic class first and found the information valuable. I like paper piecing and it is a good way to start, but I like finding a project I want to do and that keeps me motivated - welcome to this board - it is addictive
Old 10-20-2010, 04:22 AM

Hi and welcome to quilting. I am relatively new at this as well but grew up with a quilter, so I had an advantage with understanding some of the terminology. Best advice- Find a local small-town quilt shop and tell them you are looking for a first quilt project with no points to match. They can help you with a simple pattern, coordinating fabric and they will appreciate your business much more than a large retail chain will. They also offer classes.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 AM

Welcome from NC. I've never paper pieced so don't know how difficult it is. I started with a throw using fat quarters. It went very fast and I could see a finished project before I got too frustrated.

Sara in NC
Old 10-20-2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by sherrysue
I am thinking about learning to quilt. Is the paper peicing the way to go when first starting? Any suggestiions. I have never quilted anything before. Just looking for a new hobby, and new friends.
Iam scared to death of it!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:41 AM

I would take a class. That way you could see of you really liked it before you sink a bunch of money in it. Once you do one and learn the basics you will be hooked! Have fun.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 AM

Welcome to quilting. A great hobby...way of life. Do what feels best to you, but look at patterns and choose one you really want. That way you will want to do well, not just practice. Precision is key no matter wich way you choose to start.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:08 AM

Welcome from S.C.!

I love paper piecing for the sharp straight lines and points it gives me , but I don't think it is something I would have tried as a beginner.

My first quilt was an Irish chain and was done from instructions in a book.
Go to Joanne's and look at their quilting books. Or go to a local quilt shop and ask for help.

Good luck
Roxanne
Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 AM

Hi from TN! I have to agree with mic-pa, there are so many things to learn & I think half the fun of quilting is spending your time with others who love quilting.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:17 AM

I suggest you start with a nine block, and go square by square. The first quilt I did was a nine block. The #1 thing is to make sure you have 1/4" seam allowance. That is the key to every well made quilt.
Patience is the #2. Don't try to run through anything. Quilting should never be rushed.
I find it very relaxing now that I have learned the two lessons above.
Also, I recommend you take a beginners class at your LQS.
Welcome from Wisconsin!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:49 AM

I agree whole-heartly with everyone who said, Run, to your nearest quilt shop and take a beginner class. You will never regret spending the money, if you have a good instructor. I have taught beginner quilters for quite a few years, and beginning students come in with varying experience and can always use the information received from a class. GO FOR IT!!!! And have fun.