Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello from Huntsville, AL >

Hello from Huntsville, AL

Hello from Huntsville, AL

Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
Originally Posted by nanquilt
Hi, I live in Huntsville. Do you ever shop at Patches and Stitches . They are a great quilting store. They are on Humes Avenue. Just stop in anytime and someone can help you with any questions you may have about quilting. Appliques are my favorites and, depending on the pattern, I applique with a blanket stitch by machine.
Hey! I used to buy my cross stitch stuff there in highschool. When I was there in 2009 when my dad died, I went looking for it since it wasn't in the same spot. I found it not too far from my old house! It was fun to shop there again, this time for a new passion. And I found official Auburn University fabric for my niece's quilt! You can't find that out here.
Even our wal-mart carries the team fabric. lol If you need more, I would shop for you and send it. We also have hobby lobby and they carry the fabric. The 40% off coupon works for online orders! I use it when the store doesn't have in stock a quilting tool that I want. I signed up and they send me a coupon about twice a month. How great is that!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:35 AM

Welcome. I use fusible and the satin stitch for more detail. Working on a tute, maybe next week will have it ready. From a photo to a pattern, to the fusible, onto the fabric, cut out, fused to the background or stitched onto the stiffener then onto the background. Have to take lots of photos.

FUSIBLE WEB AND GLUE
Two fusible web products that I prefer are WonderUnder and Misty Fuse. WonderUnder is a paper backed fusible and reasonably priced. The web is much thinner than it used to be, easier to stitch through and doesn’t gum up the needle like it used to (when a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol were kept ready to clean the needle) Less web means a weaker bond and pieces can loosen during handling and stitching.
Permanent press fabrics and unwashed fabrics with starch or sizing do not adhere well. Do not use fabric softener before fusing. If the web is ‘over cooked’ the paper will not peel off. It is easier to just redo the piece.
Misty Fuse is a very thin fusible web without a release paper. Several layers can be used without an appreciable build up (great with surface designs).
TIP - fusible web can be used instead of starch to turn under the applique pieces for hand applique. When ironed to parchment paper, pieces can be traced and the center cut away leaving just the edges with web.
Before fusible web, fusible interfacing was used. It is still used to back white and light fabrics to prevent shadowing of dark fabrics.

TIP – if the web separates from the release paper reattach by lightly ironing it back on using parchment paper for protection.

Roxanne’s Baste It or washable Elmer’s school glue are both good choices (for example on die cut pieces). The Roxanne’s glue leaves a residue when ironed, the Elmer’s glue does not..

Pieces traced onto fusible rough cut around them and ready to fuse to the back of the fabric.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156002[/ATTACH]

Picked out fabric.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156006[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-155997.jpe   attachment-156001.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM

Not often. I usuallty go to the one in Madison or Athens. If I feel like a road trip, I go up to Franklin or Fayetteville. I only go to Patches and Stitches if I can't find it anywhere else.