Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Raleigh

Hello from Raleigh

Hi Im Chris,to be totaly honest with ya'll I dont quilt wouldnt even know where to start.My Gramma did..This is my story "totally honest here" I manage a Self Storage Facility in Raleigh for last 6 years and have rented and seen everything imagineable-some good and a lot bad. A lady gave me two huge tubs of Hand made Quilts for whitch I dont know anything about.I am NOT trying to sell anything at all,I just need some info on these Quilts..I think in total there has to be 20-30 Quilts and a lot of them have old Army blankets sewn inside of them..I apoligize if I came to your community for an alterior motive,but I would just like some info on these. I personally feel they are priceless-Family herloom and feel bad just having them..I do not know anyone that Quilts so Im reaching out to you guy's..Sorry for the run on sentances and poor spelling,im one finger typer and it took me 30mins to put this together..Ill try to up load some pictures,if I can figure it out.I just feel these Quilts should be with people that apreshiate them insted of using them as rags,and displayed and adorned..Please give me some info,b/c it looks like you guys know your Quilts..Sincerly Chris Deutsch.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-09-2013 at 04:27 AM.

Power Poster
    Welcome to the Quilting-board Chris. If you post pictures of them, someone may be able to tell you a little about them.

Welcome from Adrian, MI

Welcome from Michigan!

Blog Entries
    welcome, Chris! Nothing wrong with being here to learn or ask questions - its what most of us do! You might contact your library and ask if there is a local quilt guild anywhere near you - or call a quilt shop. The first quilt I ever made has an Army blanket in the middle - weighs a ton!!
    Cherylsea

Yes, calling a local quilt shop is a good idea. They should be able to put you in touch with a local quilt guild. They can advise you. They sound priceless....it is sharp of you to realize this.

Definitely find a local quilt guild to ask. There is almost always a member who collects quilts. They might be able to also give you information on value.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    Welcome from NE Ohio.

Blog Entries
    Can't wait to see pics! Sad to hear there just sitting in boxes.

Welcome from Texas

A local quilt guild should be able to help you, but I hope you post pictures for us anyway, we're all anxious to see the treasures you have!

Thank's for the warm welcome!!!.I will take some pictures this afternoon and try to post them if I can figure it out.lol

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Welcome from New Hampshire. I agree with the others, contact a local quilt shop or quilt guild. Even your local historical society may have someone for you to speak to. Good luck on your hunt for information. Who knows, maybe it will lead you to quilt on your own. There are no coincidences.....'
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Blog Entries
    It's always so sad to hear of quilts that are being neglected & sitting in some box or tub, instead of out being used & loved. So glad you appreciate them for what they are, instead of just throwing them away or letting a dog sleep on them. I will be looking forward to seeing pics. of them. Welcome from the panhandle of GREAT state of Texas.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Yes exactly,this Lady put so much time into these I couldnt even imagine..One of my buddys wanted one to put under his car b/c it drips oil in his driveway..he didnt get it just fyi.

Blog Entries
    Chris3829, I just want to thank you and congratulate you on having your dedication to doing the right thing! What caught my eye was "Raleigh" because I was born there... Rex Hospital... don't know if it's even still there after 6 decades! My parents moved us to Oklahoma just before I entered 1st grade, so I haven't been there in a loooooong time.

You were wise to locate this Quilt Board... I would love to know how you found it? All the ideas presented here are excellent ideas and I do not have another... just wanted to tell you I appreciate your effort to do right by these quilts...
    Thank you!!!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Tnxs running means alot!.When my Grandma passed we were in such a rush to get her belonging out of the house we accually threw out so much of her life and I regret that so much, It was back in 1992 and I was young and didnt relize the importance of everything.Getting older def puts alot in perspctive..Anyway yea Rex is still there and it's a huge Hospital now one of the best around!..I found you guys by just typing in "quilt forum" now a days there is a forum for everything!.Im getting out of work in a couple hrs and hopefully I can post some pics of the Quilts.

I posted some pictures,but I guess Im to new to put a picture up..Hope ya'll have a good evening and thanks for the warm welcome!

Thank you, Chris, so much for not just tossing them out. A quilt shop or quilt guild should be able to help you.

Welcome Chris3829..some folks have problems uploading pix, but it is fairly simple. Just type your message or introduction into the reply box at the bottom of this page....then see the little icon-third from the right end above the message box? Click on that and option will come up for inserting your pix. If you've already uploaded from camera to computer, your pix should be in your "my pictures" folder. Right? So click the photo and then 'upload'. In a moment you will see it and then you should post your reply, or ''submit''....I forget because I've been using iPad. Give it a try until you are successful...we are all waiting to see these quilts.

Gosh, I hope I've given you the right instructions. The little icon looks like it has a tree in it. I think there is a tute somewhere here that instructs in doing this.

Thanks for your concern for those quilts. I'm sure someone put lots of love and work into the making of the quilts. I'm so glad you didn't just discard them. Welcome to the Board! My daughter lives in the Raleigh area; but all she knows about quilts is that she loves to get the ones I make for her.

Appreciate the help,but what I did was take them with my cell then send em to my Photobucket and copied and pasted onto the post something in that order lol..Im lost..What it said was id have to get a mod to approve them,so I think I did it right..fingers crossed.

Blog Entries
    Hi Chris, there are guilds in Raleigh, quilting and sewing. Also in June the Original Sewing and Quilt Expo will be there. I came down last yr (I have friend who lives there) and I really enjoyed it. Even if you have no desire to quilt you can get info there about appraisers, etc at the show. My friend picked up a few names last yr to get her Grandma's quilt quilted.I do't know the name of the shop but there is a shop there that we love to go to, it's mainly for upholestry fabric but they also have quilting fabric so they may also be able to help you get info. I wish I could remember the name of the shop but from what I understand there aren't too many there; especially one that has it all in it. It's on a big major highway. Close to Lake Forest, I think.
    Judy

Here are some pictures

Name:  99999999996.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  873.1 KBName:  99999999996.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  873.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast