Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help again - with points >

Help again - with points

Help again - with points

Old 06-14-2016, 02:22 AM
Power Poster

Are you printing your PP pattern?? Have you checked them for accuracy?? If not, are you seams lined up correctly?? Really sorry you are having these problems. I am working on PP quilt and I am basting my seam, press seam open and check for accuracy. If I am off, press the seams back, undo the basting and start over again.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:25 AM

Sometimes it is good to baste (by hand) problem areas and do one seam at a time. I also recommend Carol Doak either by Craftsy class or her book for wonderful instruction. It can be done.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:54 AM

...all of the above and another maybe.....when sewing that thick seam, lessen your top tension by about 1 number...perhaps the too right for that bulk is causing it to grip and not move that fabric smoothly thru, thus not staying where you put it!
Old 06-14-2016, 01:22 PM

So, I incorporated a whole bunch of things and I finally got it to work!

This is my practice block, so I always use an opposite coloured thread so I can see what I am doing!

I had to stop about 3 stitches BEFORE the 1/4 inch seam in order for it to lay flat.

Once I sewed the triangles together to make one square, I could iron those seams closed (all going counter-clockwise - thank you Krista!).

However, once I joined the four squares together, I had to iron those seams open.

My only concern is that I have a bit of hole in the middle of the block (nothing major, you can't see it, but you can put the tip of your seam ripper through it ...

I'm hoping that once it is quilted together it won't matter ...

Here's some pics!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552196[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552197[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552198[/ATTACH]

It's pretty flat compared to the first picture, and I will have no problems sewing through the middle.

Thanks so much everyone for all the input! I'm pretty sure I combined about 7 people's suggestions just to get it to work!
Attached Thumbnails img_0711.jpg   img_0712.jpg   img_0713.jpg  
Old 06-15-2016, 12:58 PM

Maybe put a small invisible hand stitch over the hole in the center for security?
Old 06-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day always presses seams on blocks like this open. the last four seams (from joining sections) are pressed going in a spin. the center of the seams you must clip the last threads you can see when you joined the two whole sections of the block. snip them so the fabrics in that seam can lay flat. It will make a tiny spin design. press from both sides. should lay nice and flat.https://www.quiltinaday.com/communit...=3&topic=21169