Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help again - with points >

Help again - with points

Help again - with points

Old 06-13-2016, 12:04 PM

Default Help again - with points

I'm doing a PP block and it's very small LOL and I'm having problems with my points ...

I've looked at lots of videos about swirling ... but from the way this is PP'd ... I'm thinking I might have problems ...

Here's the pic ... each square is made of up two triangles ... so in the middle there is TONS of fabric ... I've tried swirling, seams open, seams to one side ... and I just can't get it to work ...

if anyone has a great video link?

I DO have perfect 1/4 inch seams (for a change LOL)

thanks so much ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552129[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0709.jpg  
Old 06-13-2016, 12:12 PM

Do you press each seam as you sew or only finger press? Granted, I'm pretty overzealous in my pressing but I use my iron both the sewn seam as well as the reverse side after each new piece is added - even with pp'ing. I'm not sure but that may help with this particular block as there are so many joins in the center.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:22 PM

Did you try what we talked about yesterday? Stopping (or unpicking) your stitching at the seam line. With no stitching in the 1/4 seam allowance, it is easier to spread the bulk around.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:25 PM

I highly recommend carol doaks craftsy class. I found with pp many of the online videos were skipping precision steps and I like you wasn't getting my point and when I took her class I learned so much.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:27 PM

Perhaps ironing your seams open may reduce the bulk in the middle.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:31 PM

Hello Krista!! Yes, I tried that and I have tried pressing them to one side I have tried sewing them with seams open. I was just hoping someone would have a video link that is different from the ones that I have looked at

I will take them all apart right down to the triangles and take pictures at every step
Old 06-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

I hate to be Debbie Downer but I don't think it is ever going to lay flat. 8 pointed stars are hard enough To get a nice center and your block has more intersections. Unless it effects the overall design, I might applique a square in the center (in the blue fabric) and trim away the center of the block behind it.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Have you considered trimming your seam down to less than 1/4" and pressing them open as you go?
Old 06-13-2016, 06:23 PM

I am doing a PP BOM and having trouble.

One thing I read in my quest for information is use pins to mark where ends of seam are. You would put them straight through just to mark and hold in place. Check the middle of the seam. If everything lines up, points meet, etc, hold together with a plastic coated paper clip instead of pinning because pinning will distort, especially smaller units.

I am going to try this on the next block. I believe my seams are distorted from pinning. I did a quilt of 12" PP blocks before and didn't have much trouble but didn't have tiny pieces and multitudes of points and things to match. The BOM I'm doing right now has a ton of little things that need to match up perfectly and tiny tiny pieces and units and I can't seem to match anything!😬
Old 06-13-2016, 10:22 PM

Two drastic actions. Get a hammer or heavy weight and try hitting it.or snip some of the bulk out. I had to revert to these methods when I did something similar with pp project. Good luck