Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with bargello please >

Help with bargello please

Help with bargello please

Old 08-23-2018, 09:50 AM

Referring back to the pictures in Post 5. I find myself going to the bottom layout.

Honestly, I think all of your options will work. I'd do a couple of things differently, one is to mix the scale of the prints a bit more. So in the bottom layout, I'd change the first red to the 2nd fabric (larger floral) on the picture before it.

I think the peach is fine where it is

But those last three pink fabrics are too close in color and scale for me, depending on your design (for example they could work very well if you build in/emphasis some heart shapes). Although as I understand it, you are going for the "glow" effect of light to dark, I'm not against contrast in such things plus keep in mind that they will relate to the back to the first set so maybe play with them building back up to the first one, try ditching one and replacing it with the rose one or that lovely paisley on the end.

PS: We have a lot of the same/similar fabrics!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:34 AM

I did find this piece with more green but lighter... I could pull out one of the greens that are similar in print.

Also, I'm wondering if I should put the greens at the end and keep all of the burgundy and pinks together.... Dang, I didn't realize this would be so hard. LOL, perhaps I am way overthinking it, and should just start sewing.

The original pattern used 5" squares for all parts of the design. Since I plan to cut my strip sets into different width sections, will 5" squares be too big for a good effect? I am realizing that when cut into 2.5" sections they might look awkward at 5x2.5". Will it matter as long as they are all that way? What would happen if I used different widths in the strips for sewing the tube instead of having them all the same?[ATTACH=CONFIG]599937[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails another-gifted-fabric.jpg  
Old 08-23-2018, 10:38 AM

You can get a interesting look going different widths and lengths, but it's a bear to figure out and keep track of.

While this is not a bargello, it is a design that used varying widths and lengths.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:48 AM

macybaby, that quilt is wonderful! I think I am going to add a little of that to my quilt. I'm feeling a little more confident to get it off the wall and on the sewing machine!

You are all so great with help and advice!!!
Old 08-23-2018, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Linda, I really like the way you have it in the last picture above.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:14 AM

Macybaby, you have a wonderful analytical mind.

I have not made one of these but have always wanted to. If you do a "Cher" on the quilts here in this thread you eye goes to the lightest, or brightest of the fabrics.

A "Cher" is to cover your eyes, then uncover them for one second and what do you see. Cher would then take off the one thing that was drawing the observer's eye. Was it her ear rings? Was it her lipstick? She wanted them to not be distracted by the one thing that caught their eye.

With a Bargello, I like the one thing that catches my eye, the bright or light line.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm so nervous about this biopsy coming back.

Marcia
Old 08-24-2018, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Macybaby, you have a wonderful analytical mind.

I have not made one of these but have always wanted to. If you do a "Cher" on the quilts here in this thread you eye goes to the lightest, or brightest of the fabrics.

A "Cher" is to cover your eyes, then uncover them for one second and what do you see. Cher would then take off the one thing that was drawing the observer's eye. Was it her ear rings? Was it her lipstick? She wanted them to not be distracted by the one thing that caught their eye.

With a Bargello, I like the one thing that catches my eye, the bright or light line.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm so nervous about this biopsy coming back.

Marcia
Marcia, I know what you mean about being nervous. Please know that I am holding you close in my heart that things will go well. Hugs and smiles! Good Luck.
Also, thanks for introducing the Cher! I've always admired her singing and flair! I could never carry it off, but admire people who can and do!
I'm also liking this last layout, so once my flair is over (Fibromyalgia) I will start the cutting and sewing I think.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:58 AM

I made one and it was totally scrappy and the cut strips were all 2 inch - I think or 2 1/2 but the sub cuts were all the way down to like 3/4". It was quite varied. So you do what you want. I've never tried to attach a picture so not sure if I could. I had to sort of remake my moms but hers ended up turning out quite well too; I don't know what happened to it when she passed away.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:17 PM

There are pages of images of Eleanor Burns “Trip Around the World” quilts, if you google TAW quilt images, while they are not bargellos, she does use many fabrics to give you some ideas for color flow. Also, take some photos of your choices and print them, then cut them into strips, lay them bargello style, then you can see what is pleasing to your eye. When you find what you like, tape it down, and use it for your “paste up”.

Last edited by madamekelly; 08-24-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
My one problem is that the palest "peachy" fabric was a gift from a good friend of the recipient, and she specifically asked if it could be in the quilt. I will look thru the other fabrics gifted to see if I can find one that would work better.
Try putting the peachy color between the two green with pink flowers as a resting spot for the eye in your last photo. As your eye travels across the quilt, multiprints can get muddy if too close in tone, so you give eye rest places by putting the peachy there.