Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help with BHMQ Alletaire blocks

Blog Entries

Help with BHMQ Alletaire blocks

Name:  20180311_122329_resized.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  363.6 KBI always seem to get in trouble when I change colors on one of Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilts. I saw something on Pinterest but I must not have gotten it right because these two blocks don't go together the way hers did. I have all the green and orange ones done, but only this purple one. I think it is the light purple small half triangles that need to be more like the grey green in the corner of the other block.

Bonnie Hunter is coming to my local area in 18 months. So I'd like to show the top at the show and tell. What have I done wrong? Besides spell it wrong. Allietare.
    Last edited by Battle Axe; 03-12-2018 at 03:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Firstly, your blocks are beautiful.
    While looking at the other photo it doesn't appear to have any orange in the blocks. So I was thinking maybe just change the purple since you have the orange blocks completed? My monitor doesn't show orange, more like gold maybe.

Blog Entries
    That first picture with the coral (orange)/green block and the purple one is pretty much reality. Maybe the dark purple in the purple block is too dark. Thanks for the info. You tried to put in a thread that was pulled. I wanted to read that one. What'sup?

Marcia

Yes, Battle Axe I agree. Something in the purple block needs to be close to the same colors as in the star block. That will unify the blocks. Beautiful blocks! I am jealous as I would love to be in one of her workshops.

Allietare was designed with two colors (red, gold) and three neutrals (light, gray, black). You currently have an extra color here, if you count your light and dark purples separately. Your 'red' should be used in both blocks. So if you're going by the pattern, you should eliminate the dark purple in the second block and replace it with the orange.
    Lisa

I'm attaching a picture of my finished Allietare quilt. I hope it helps.

Edited to say sorry that it's sideways. I've never had that happen before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Marcia, I don't know what thread you're referring to. But then again, I'm still tired from setting the clocks ahead

Blog Entries
    Lisa, (Joe's Mom) You are so right. I'm going to make one block and see how that looks. I have plenty of coral (orange) from the BHMQ On Ringo Lake. I became frustrated with my progress and put that tub on the UFO shelf. Thanks. I just couldn't see it.

Marcia

Use graph paper and color in your new colors so you don't get confused. Or, better yet ask a friend with EQ to draw our the blocks and only print the outlines. Make copies and play with color.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Not sure of the answer to your question, but did want to compliment you on your beautiful blocks. I'd love to be in a workshop with Bonnie Hunter.

Doing a match-up with Bonnie's pattern, your orange=her red, your green=her gold, your lavender=her gray (your dark purple represents an extra color). Replacing your lavender with a grey/green floral would be like taking her allietare, eliminating the gray and replacing it with gold. In other words, rather than having your 'red' in both blocks, you'd have your 'gold' in both blocks.

Here is a photo of my Allietare for comparison (my blocks are shown on point, and I replaced the black square in block 2 with a black/neutral HST). Notice that if you replace your lavender with a green/grey floral, it will be right next to the greens of your block one in spots, which would make the pattern less clear.

I think the problem you were having is that your block one didn't relate to your block two. Since your block ones are made and you can't change those, you have to relate your block two to the block one colors, and if you want to duplicate the original color relationship, you will want to relate your block two block center to your block one outer star color. In other words, you would replace the dark purple block 2 center with something that relates to your orange of block one. Your 'gray' would ideally not repeat one of the block one colors. You want good contrast between all three colors that come together in that area -- the light neutral, the 'gray' and the 'gold.' In that respect, your lavender would function well as the gray, or you could replace it with something of equal value that isn't similar to your greens of block one.

Last edited by joe'smom; 10-20-2018 at 12:22 AM.
    Lisa

Here are some results from an 'orange purple' search on Etsy, with the idea of replacing your dark purple in block two if you were to keep the lavender as your gray.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6080676...abric?ref=cart

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2481370...range?ref=cart

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6091289...acobs?ref=cart

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6441533...ellow?ref=cart
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Name:  20181020_065439_resized.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  378.7 KBHere is the latest rendition. The next block has the center done, but not the corners. I really want to use that purple square. I have not changed out the corners on the first block. I haven't looked at your stuff yet. Marcia

Blog Entries
    The fabrics you pulled up have the light purple and not the dark one. My neighbor lady is always after me about my color choices. I explain that I have a father who is red green color blind. This is what seems right to me.]

Marcia

Blog Entries
    Name:  20181025_183535_resized.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  276.2 KBI have changed some of the fabrics, but not the ones you wanted. I think this is going to have to work for me now. I am diligently hunting another fat quarter of that coral. I do like it much better. At first I had a green in the border, but that was so wrong. I'm having to piece some coral scraps back together. My deadline is Bonnie Hunter's visit to Shipshewana, a year from now. I'm making good progress on the blocks, but I am worried about getting my garage remodeled so I can set up the long arm.

Thanks for your help.

Marcia

Blog Entries
    Okay, now it’s looking more cohesive with the addition of more finished blocks. Good luck finding more coral and finishing the quilt before Bonnie arrives. : 0
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I think that with your 'gold' 4-patches being essentially the same color as your 'gray' HSTs, you will not see the 'gold' 4-patch grid running across and vertically through the pattern that connects the star blocks and surrounds the alternate block, and which depends on the gold-gray contrast. I just point this out so you will not be disappointed after you've done all the work!

Last edited by joe'smom; 10-26-2018 at 07:35 AM.
    Lisa