Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help binding a rag quilt >

Help binding a rag quilt

Help binding a rag quilt

Old 12-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent
I know this is a bit off topic but still about rag quilts..I watched 2 you tube tutes. one by Missouri star, who stitched an "X" on the blocks, the 2nd didn't. Which is best? Also neither used a batting,is this the norm or just done to quicken video?
Thank you
David
Depends on the size of the block and what filler you used, whether or not you need an "X" or some form of quilting in the block.

Some people use a layer of batting in the block, some use a layer of flannel, some just use 2 or 3 layers of fabric. If using batting, you need the "X" because the batting is cut smaller than the fabric you are using so that it won't be caught in the "clips".

Stitching within the block, not only holds the batting in place but keeps the block from puffing if you are only using fabric as a filler. If your block size is 6 inches or less (within the stitching) and you are only using fabric as a filler, then you would not need to stitch an "X".

Does this help or make it more unclear?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:01 AM

hi, this question may sound stupid!!!!!! but can you make a rag quilt using cotton fabric?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Dkm

Sew around the entire quilt. I usually do this twice just as a safety measure. Then snip.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:19 AM

Sure! But because of the higher thread count, it won't "fuzz" up as much. But there are actually patterns that feature raw edge designs to be "toothbrushed" for a Chenille effect. Just take a larger seam allowance if it's to be used as a throw.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 AM

My sister has made many rag quilts-she begins by sewing each sandwich block in 1" that way when you sew the 1/2" seams you always have a 1/2" border around each block. She sews Xs, hearts, and swirls in the middle of the blocks. She use to clip the edges but she always felt they looked unfinished or if using all flannel it seemed to keep "shrinking" (unraveling)-and in a baby quilt that get's a lot of washing it can tend to look as if a rag rather than a quilt so she began putting on a binding so she felt it was finished. I made a rag quilt for her (a little bigger that a lap quilt) and left it unbound so if she wanted to add borders they could easily expanded.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:21 PM

In my ignorance, I cut strips 2 1/2" wide and about 12" long, sewed them together since the fabrics had all been used in the quilt and folded them in half and stitched them on using 1/2" seam. This gave me a smooth yet reinforced outer edge and I 'ragged' the part that stuck out - looked great!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:26 PM

a rag quilt in on my "to do" list! Thanks for all the good info. Makes me want to start right now! :)
Old 12-30-2010, 03:00 PM

I snipped 3 of the sides, but left the top unsnipped so it wouldn't tickle the nose.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:52 PM

I have always snipped mine.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:50 PM

Someone might have already suggested that you stitch all around the quilt about 1/2" in the edge. Snip this just like the seam allowances between the blocks. It will fluff up after washing.