Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! with binding >

Help! with binding

Help! with binding

Old 11-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Default Help! with binding

I have five quilts that need to be done in time for Christmas. In the past, I have always done the binding by hand, but will not have time to do it that way this time around. I thought I could attach the binding the same way as always--to the front of the quilt with raw edges together. Then I could turn it over, and using monofiliment thread in the bobbin, stitch (tack down) the back. Has anyone done it this way? Will it work?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-21-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: clarify title to reflect content
Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 AM

I always do mine on the machine.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 AM

i would stitch in the ditch on the top...especially with the invisible thread (which i do not use and would not suggest) but regardless, if you use that or matching thread... machine mount on top, wrap and stitch in the ditch on top...
Old 11-21-2011, 09:52 AM

I saw a tv quilting program where they used a decorative stitch on the top of the quilt to sew the binding down, you just
make sure that it catches the binding on the bottom of the quilt, but it looked really good.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 AM

Hey, off the topic, but saw from your sign on you might be from Reno and we're vacationing here. Best quilt shops?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

It will certainly work. A lot of people stitch down the binding by machine. I particularly like the tutorial on the QB. It is under Quick Machine Binding with Flange and is by Charismah. You prepare the binding, stitch it to the back and turn the binding to the front. You can then stitch along the flange for a pretty binding with flange/piping. This is my favourite way to do machine binding.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by dcquilter View Post
I saw a tv quilting program where they used a decorative stitch on the top of the quilt to sew the binding down, you just
make sure that it catches the binding on the bottom of the quilt, but it looked really good.
This is how I do mine. I have arthritis in my hands and hand sewing is almost impossible. I sew the binding to the back, wrap it around to the front, anchor it well, I use those binder clips that look like hair clips, and use a decorative stitch to sew to the front. A lot of quilters wouldn't approve, but it's my quilt and I can do it how I want. I often use a buttonhole stitch.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 AM

The biggest problem I find when doing machine binding is the binding doesn't always get caught in the stitching on the back side. I saw a demo somewhere where you use Elmer's Washable School Glue to 'baste' the binding down before stitching it. To do so, run a thin bead of the glue right along the stitching line (on the back) that was formed when you sewed the binding to the front. Then bring the folded edge of the binding over that stitching line and heat set the glue with your iron. (Be sure the binding edge overlaps the stitching line by about 1/8", that assures that it will get caught in the stitching.)

Once you have glued all the way around, stitch from the front of the quilt in the ditch of the binding. Use bobbin thread that matches the binding and you'll have a nice neat finish!

Andi
Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

if i'm going to do it all by machine, i sew the binding to the back, turn it to the front, and sew it down with a small decorative stitch
Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 PM

I always machine stitch my binding. I stitch in the ditch. I wouldn't do it any other way. But I use thread that blends in, no invisible thread.