Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! Blank Newsprint Paper by the ream

Just went online and Office Depot has 8 1/2 x 11 recycled newsprint paper for $5.99 a ream of 500

I buy 9x12 and cut it down with my paper cutter

Honchey ... I've seen Office Depot mentioned several times ... can you not get it at Staples? we can here! Though I continue to use regular printer paper for the PPing, and have had no problems
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I work in a school. They quit using that paper with the double lines on it I used in kindergarten. They were going to give it to the kids or throw it out. Makes great paper piecing paper. I have seen it in the school supply aisle. I never look at the price. I'm not sure I will ever have to buy it again. I have a big pile of paper.

Quote Originally Posted by kathyd View Post
    I remember my dad getting a roll of the newsprint when I was little. it was great because my siblings and I could tear off a piece and trace out whole bodies to color! Entertainment was cheap then
    I remember my dad bringing it home too. I also remember going to the shop with him while he was setting type and playing with the lead bars.. LOL Can you imagine ? That would never be able to be done now with all the safety laws.. A 4yr old around all those machines? I learned to read upside down a backwards too before I went to school. I got in trouble all the time for turning my book upside down so I could read it. LOL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
    Somewhere on this board is a member that purchases blank newspaper print by the ream for paper piecing. I would like to know the supplier for this paper...If you know...please post it. Thanks, Honchey

I do...I get it from office depot and it is
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/341669/Pacon-35percent-Recycled-Plain-Newsprint-8/
    Last edited by jaciqltznok; 06-10-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Honchey ... I've seen Office Depot mentioned several times ... can you not get it at Staples? we can here! Though I continue to use regular printer paper for the PPing, and have had no problems
    not at my staples..I have to order it online from Office depot!

What is the benefit of vellum vs. newsprint? What should I look for if I look for vellum for paper piecing? thank you.

Blog Entries
    I just cut the paper to fit it works okay.

check out uline.com they have newsprint for packing in several sizes and on rolls.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    It is also super for cleaning windows. Doesn't streak and cleans exceptionally well. A professional window washer told me to use blank newsprint, but newspaper works also. Glad to know it is good for paper piecing as well!!! I get it from storage unit busnesses.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmb195152 View Post
    What is the benefit of vellum vs. newsprint? What should I look for if I look for vellum for paper piecing? thank you.
    Vellum is somewhat transparent. This works for me because I don't stitch through the paper, I fold on the stitching line (which I can now see, since the paper is transparent) and stitch right next to it. Saves me from all that tedious tearing. Saves wear on the needle, too.

I simply purchase the vellum sold in my local Office Depot. I know other quilters use a certain weight/thickness, but I'm not sure what that number is.

Somewhere on this board is a member that purchases blank newspaper print by the ream for paper piecing. I would like to know the supplier for this paper...If you know...please post it. Thanks, Honchey
    I just keep a watch behind the Newspaper building and they throw out huge reams of paper. I guess after they get so low they throw them out, but there is so much still on the roll
    http://community.webshots.com/user/paintbug

newspaper ream

Try your local newspaper. They will often sell you some.

End rolls are probably cheaper, but I have bought kid's tracing paper at a store we have called Fred's. It's 8 1/2" wide, but I had to put the end through my paper cutter to make it 11". It's great for paper piecing, tears easily. And if it is a little longer or shorter than 11", it still works in the printer with no problem. It was a buck per tablet.

Our local newspaper sell end rolls for 1.00 each. They're great to have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Dick Blick has it by the ream (500 sheets) in many sizes - 8x11, 9x12, 12x18, 18x24, and 24x36. The 8x11 ream is $3.04.
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/bl...ose-newsprint/
    Anne this is where I got mine. I bought 2 reams because the shipping was the same for 1 or 2 reams. It is so handy!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Office Depot has it! 500 Sheets for $5.99.

]I work in a school. They quit using that paper with the double lines on it I used in kindergarten. They were going to give it to the kids or throw it out. Makes great paper piecing paper. I have seen it in the school supply aisle. I never look at the price. I'm not sure I will ever have to buy it again. I have a big pile of paper

I've seen this (old lined writing paper) at the Dollar Store - not Dollar General but the ones where everything is $1. Our newspapers won't give the end rolls any more, they recycle it.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

Try dharma trading company. ----www.dharmatrading.com
    LadyCougar

"There's always time to quilt"

Also cheapmovingboxes.com has blank paper in 400 sheet really reasonable works great for doing patterns and things like that.
    LadyCougar

"There's always time to quilt"

Blog Entries
    I've also been told that you can ask your doctor for the end of the roll on the paper they put on the exam tables. I've not had first hand experience but it's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Dick Blick has it by the ream (500 sheets) in many sizes - 8x11, 9x12, 12x18, 18x24, and 24x36. The 8x11 ream is $3.04.
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/bl...ose-newsprint/
    I am riding along in the car reading the board. When I saw your post, I went to their website to check it out. When I searched for a store, the only one in MO is in St. Louis. We are on our way back to Independence from (you guessed it) St. Louis! LOL Wish I had read this about 3 hrs. ago. LOL

Sorry about that, nstitches. Dick Blick is one of the greatest stores/websites on earth. I'm a third generation customer.

They also sell fabric paints and dyes, Intense pencils, Shiva Paintstiks, fabric markers and crayons, any kind of screen printing supplies you could ever want plus much more, all at great prices. Their fabric surface design department is growing just as fast as the interest in the genre grows.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I decided to try my hand at paper piecing so after I read this thread I tore out several sheets from a doodle pad from Dollar Tree and used my ruler and rotary cutter to trim off 1/2 inch from the side. It fed through the printer just fine and is working great for the Mariner's Star I am piecing. I am guessing you could probably trim as many as 20 sheets at a time. Harriet Hargraves says she uses her rotary cutter all the time to prep her blocks and it doesn't dull the blade. So 60 sheets for a dollar seems cheap enough. I still have to see how it tears off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast