Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!!! Blank Newsprint Paper by the ream (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-blank-newsprint-paper-ream-t191169.html)

Honchey 06-08-2012 08:39 AM

Help!!! Blank Newsprint Paper by the ream

Somewhere on this board is a member that purchases blank newspaper print by the ream for paper piecing. I would like to know the supplier for this paper...If you know...please post it. Thanks, Honchey

GrannieAnnie 06-08-2012 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey (Post 5274161)
Somewhere on this board is a member that purchases blank newspaper print by the ream for paper piecing. I would like to know the supplier for this paper...If you know...please post it. Thanks, Honchey

Have you called your local newspaper? Another source of slightly heavier blank paper is a moving company. I got a ton of crumpled up paper when my DD moved back to the area a year ago.

dunster 06-08-2012 09:04 AM

The local printer gave me an end of a roll of newsprint - more than I can ever use - for free. When the roll gets toward the end I guess it isn't economical for them to use it in their machines. They also give the roll ends to teachers and probably to anyone who asks for them.

qbquilts 06-08-2012 09:11 AM

if you can't find anyone to give you some, I've seen blank newsprint in the art paper section of stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. If you use the 40% off coupon it shouldn't be too much. --- I just checked Hobby Lobby's website and they have a pad of newsprint for $2.99 (50 sheets, 9" x 12"), which after the 40% off coupon is applied works out to about 3 1/2 cents per sheet.

Peckish 06-08-2012 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5274209)
The local printer gave me an end of a roll of newsprint - more than I can ever use - for free. When the roll gets toward the end I guess it isn't economical for them to use it in their machines. They also give the roll ends to teachers and probably to anyone who asks for them.

Ditto. I asked my local newspaper and they gladly gave me an end roll, no questions asked, for free. I've used it for numerous art projects with my kids, stuffing when I ship packages, paper piecing (although I have since decided vellum works better), covered tables with it when we had crab boils...

Quiltngolfer 06-08-2012 09:26 AM

I bought a big box of large newsprint from the U-Haul Co. It was $7 for it all. It lasted FOREVER!

quiltsRfun 06-08-2012 09:32 AM

I found mine at a school supply store.

jrhboxers 06-08-2012 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer (Post 5274265)
I bought a big box of large newsprint from the U-Haul Co. It was $7 for it all. It lasted FOREVER!

That is what I have too. Any moving/rental place will have it with the moving supplies. I think even places like Lowes and Home Depot carry it too.

ewecansew 06-08-2012 10:08 AM

If you are wanting it for paper piecing, I would think you would want sheets that will fit in your printer, not roll ends and the pads in the stores are 9 x 12, which are too big for most printers. If you find a source for 8 1/2 x 11, I would like to know, as well.

sewmary 06-08-2012 10:21 AM

I have bought newsprint 8.5 X 11 by the ream for paper piecing. Online somewhere. Am at work so can't tell you where I got it from - will look tonight. Even with shipping was cheap for a ream (500 sheets).