Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Bobbin issues on new Brother Pq1500s >

Help! Bobbin issues on new Brother Pq1500s

Help! Bobbin issues on new Brother Pq1500s

Old 04-16-2013, 02:12 AM

I know nothing of your machine specifically, not do I know anything about machine quilting. With those disclaimers...have you checked to see if you have some teeny, weensy piece of thread stuck somewhere in the bobbin area? That's what usually messes up my viking.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:00 AM

I use both ways, 1 or 2 holes, so I don't think that's your problem. Can you get a decent regular stitch? When the bobbin compartment is open and you "hand turn" the needle, does it pick up the stitch correctly?

Are you sure you are using the correct bobbin? My Pfaff bobbins fit, but the sewing was all messed up.

I practiced with threading, changing bobbin, regular stitching before I tried free motion quilting. But I don't remember having to do much with tension. I think the bobbin case needed one tiny screw turn. Again, make sure it's working well on the regular stitches. I put my Pfaff away and use the Brother for piecing.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Here is yahoo group just for this machine. It has helped me a lot. : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PQ1500/
Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 AM

My repair guy says it has to do with upper tension. BUT, I had to return a Brother machine because it was defective. Unfortunately it happens, and I called Brother and they told me to return it ( I had issues other than what you have) so if all else fails and even the repair guy can't help, call Brother and ask if they have problems with this machine. I love my new one.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 AM

I think it is the upper tension. What I don't love is that the tension dial does not stay where I put it. It moves on its own when I sew. I put it on 4 and next thing i know its at 6 or 2. I have threaded and rethreaded, new thread, new bobbin, new needle.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 AM

It sounds like you really need to contact Brother and tell them you have a defective machine. If your tension dial won't stay where you put it, there is no way you will EVER get a good stitch out of that machine.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 AM

I have never had my tension dial move on it's own. That sounds wrong to me.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 AM

It's not normal. All other issues I'm sure I could figure out but this one has me stumped. I'm talking to the tech on Friday. Has anyone purchased a machine from amazon? The seller was kens sewing and vacuum place. Please tell me you've had positive experiences with this.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:45 PM

After a clean head and a conversation with the tech, I learned that you have to adjust the tension on this machine with the presser foot down. I also noticed that when the presser foot is up, it does something to the dial and it appears as though it's a different tension. You put the presser foot down again, and voila! It's at the same tension you originally had. Honestly!

Anyhow, I was also (**sigh of deep embarrassment**) not threading correctly. With new eyes in a new day, I was missing something.

So now my machine is better. I do still notice that the bobbin thread is still showing up on the top although generally better with the tension at 1. I can't go less with this and this seems to be the remaining problem. (There also was a bit of puckering when straight lining but I don't notice with FMQ and that's the only thing I'm using this machine for.) The bobbin tension seems good and I don't want to go fiddling with it. Is it normal to have a small bit of bobbin thread showing through? No top thread seems to be showing up on the bottom. The bottom looks perfect!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by littledentist View Post
The bobbin tension seems good and I don't want to go fiddling with it. Is it normal to have a small bit of bobbin thread showing through? No top thread seems to be showing up on the bottom. The bottom looks perfect!
Why are you so nervous about fiddling with your bobbin tension? Your statements "the bobbin tension seems good" and "a small bit of bobbin thread showing through" are contradictory. If your bobbin thread is showing on top and you can't adjust your top thread tension further, then you MUST adjust your bobbin tension.