Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help. Braided border too long! >

Help. Braided border too long!

Help. Braided border too long!

Old 09-27-2018, 07:31 AM

Default Help. Braided border too long!

Please help. Is there any quick fix for a braided border that continues to come out too long. I have adjusted the needle position several times. The seams are currently more than 1/4 inch. What makes it more problematic is that it has a mid-point that matches up to the inner medallion. Do I just have to keep dismantling this thing and go by trial a error?? Any ideas??
Old 09-27-2018, 07:47 AM

I'd make it and them put a small inner border between it and the medallion to take up the difference. That would be my "quick fix" solution. Otherwise I'd do it the long way, and figure out the math to make the pieces correct.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:52 AM

This is exactly what I would do, too. Assuming of course your pattern lends itself to this.

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'd make it and them put a small inner border between it and the medallion to take up the difference. That would be my "quick fix" solution. Otherwise I'd do it the long way, and figure out the math to make the pieces correct.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:49 PM

How much too long? Did the pieces get stretched from ironing? Is each piece the correct finished size?

Keep the center portion matched with the medallion and then adjust out from there.

Do you have a picture to post?
Old 09-28-2018, 06:31 AM

Thanks. I thought about adding another border but there are more to add so I feel I need to fix this one. I agree with adjusting from the middle out. I was so careful in cutting these pieces as I knew it would be important for the fit. Perhaps the pressing is the issue. I would post a picture but I am not good at that. But all good suggestions. Appreciate your time. It is about 3/4 inch too long but no way to ease it as the other border has absolutely no give.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:42 AM

If it does not really matter, I'd only adjust it right in the middle, -IE make the middle overlapping pieces shorter and leave the rest alone. I've done this type of adjustments with a lot of borders where I really needed the ends to line up to go around the corner correctly.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:07 AM

The first thing is to walk away from it for a minute. Sounds funny, but we often just need a bit of time to take a breath and get the 'crazy' out of our heads. Then a solution often appears because we can think calmly and straight again. Trust me, you are not alone. We have all been there. Many of us have had moments where we wanted to pitch our machines into the street and then, the next day, the solution jumps right up at us!!!!!! Good luck and a reminder, most UFO's happen because the project stopped being fun and became work!
Old 10-07-2018, 11:51 AM

I Just want to say thanks for all the support and suggestions. I did what any self-respecting quilters would do. I stayed up until 3am and worked it out. I am always trying to work above my skill level, which a. leads to problems and b. challenges me. Thanks again.