Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!! Breaking needles; new machine >

HELP!!! Breaking needles; new machine

HELP!!! Breaking needles; new machine

Old 11-22-2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Doreen View Post
You've changed needles, are you sure it is up all the way and that the flat side is in the right place?
I had a hard time getting the needle in because I couldn't tell that the flat doesn't go to the back like every other machine I've used. It is 90degrees and thats the only way the needle will go. It will not go in the hole except the right way. It could be not all the way, but I have pushed it up in there good. I don't know if there's a way to tell. On the next to the last one that I broke last night, my husband had to pull it out with a rubber glove on. He was just about to go get the pliers and it came out. So I think it's safe to say it's in all the way!

I think I just wasn't meant to machine quilt.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Karenowc View Post
Also - look for some utube videos of demonstrations showing FMQ. I watched a ton when I was starting out.
Along with what everyone else told you, check to make sure you have your machine threaded correctly and the bobbin is going in the correct direction. I have been quilting on mine for 4 years and never had a problem until I put on a new spool of thread (good quality). I couldn't keep the thread from breaking and needles breaking right and left.
I finally put back on the previous thread and no problems. I emailed the mfg and they replaced the thread for me.
I am using cheap thread. I didn't mess with the bobbin. I'll double check it before I use it again and I'll change thread. If it's the thread, I might be in trouble, because I'll order it online because I will NOT be stepping foot into a store until after Christmas!! I don't think I have any "good" machine thread, just hand-quilting thread and cheap sewing thread!!

How does thread mess with the needle that much? I understand if it breaks the thread, but if the tension is good, how can thread cause such a problem?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 AM

Take the machine off the frame and try to FM, If it works ok go to the Handiquilter Handiquiter group on Yahoo and read reasons the thread and needles break. Hope you find some help
Mary in TX
Old 11-22-2011, 03:37 AM

You are either moving the machine on the frame too fast for the speed of the machine or the opposite, you have the machine speed too high and are moving the machine too slowly. Also - you are trying to 'Quilt', use the machine and frame the way it was intended to be used. Until you are more experienced use the things the set up was designed for - get some decent batting, either cotton or poly cotton, then get some inexpensive muslin. Go to Joanne's. They keep the muslin on the wall on the right as you go in the store there in Knoxville. The batting is more toward the back of the store. Just ask. You should be able to get out of there for less than 20.00. Load the frame correctly with 3 layers backing, batting, top and try it again. I bet you'll have a much better result.

Don't make it harder on yourself than it has to be and don't try to re-invent the wheel by trying to get the machine to do something on a frame it was not designed to do, which is sewing 2 pieces of a sheet together. Take it off the frame, get 2 pieces of quilting cotton - not old sheet - and try to sew them together. Don't pull the fabric, guide it, sew steady and slow and I bet the machine works perfectly.
You got an excellent deal on your set up. I had seen the ad on CL. It is like new and I'm sure this is a case of operator inexperience more than a problem with the machine. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 11-22-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:04 AM

Check that you are pushing the needle up as high as it will go. If the needle is too low it will break.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:22 AM

Default Breaking needles

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
I have a new-to-me Juki TL 98-E. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I keep breaking needles. I have re-threaded the machine several times, and followed the manual to a T. The needle is in correctly. The quilting foot is on tight. The bobbin is on correctly. It doesn't seem to be hitting the plate. The tension seems to be good.
I had this problem with my other machine (that I got rid of because of this same problem). I guess it has to be something I'm doing (or not doing).
I'm near tears because I don't know what else to do! This is all new to me and very discouraging. Please help!
Ashley, Try putting your thread on a cone thread holder and see if it helps. There is much less tension on your thread. It's worth a try.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 AM

Thanks. I requested membership. I didn't mention that I have a Grace frame

Originally Posted by Mary L Booth View Post
Take the machine off the frame and try to FM, If it works ok go to the Handiquilter Handiquiter group on Yahoo and read reasons the thread and needles break. Hope you find some help
Mary in TX
Old 11-22-2011, 05:18 AM

I don't have the speed very high, but I am moving the machine slowly.
I will take the machine off this weekend and sew with it and get used to her. Then I'll try a little FMQ if we start to get along. If that goes well, I'll do exactly what you suggest. I do have lots of cotton that I bought for backing that I can use, I just didn't want to waste the batting!
Yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong with the machine. It and the frame are like-new. It's me. And because I'm such a newbie, I don't know where to start fixing the problem.
Are you close to me? If so, would you be willing to give me a quick lesson? I don't even think I'm putting it on the frame correctly (which is why I decided to skip the batting too)

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
You are either moving the machine on the frame too fast for the speed of the machine or the opposite, you have the machine speed too high and are moving the machine too slowly. Also - you are trying to 'Quilt', use the machine and frame the way it was intended to be used. Until you are more experienced use the things the set up was designed for - get some decent batting, either cotton or poly cotton, then get some inexpensive muslin. Go to Joanne's. They keep the muslin on the wall on the right as you go in the store there in Knoxville. The batting is more toward the back of the store. Just ask. You should be able to get out of there for less than 20.00. Load the frame correctly with 3 layers backing, batting, top and try it again. I bet you'll have a much better result.

Don't make it harder on yourself than it has to be and don't try to re-invent the wheel by trying to get the machine to do something on a frame it was not designed to do, which is sewing 2 pieces of a sheet together. Take it off the frame, get 2 pieces of quilting cotton - not old sheet - and try to sew them together. Don't pull the fabric, guide it, sew steady and slow and I bet the machine works perfectly.
You got an excellent deal on your set up. I had seen the ad on CL. It is like new and I'm sure this is a case of operator inexperience more than a problem with the machine. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:19 AM

The cone holder is unavailable while it's on the carriage. There's not enough room for it to unfold.

Originally Posted by lizzy View Post
Ashley, Try putting your thread on a cone thread holder and see if it helps. There is much less tension on your thread. It's worth a try.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:23 AM

You might be outrunning the machine. Try to slow down. If you go faster than the machine, the needle bends before it catches up. I had this problem at the beginning and was advised to use a size 16 needle which is stronger until I got my rhythm. Good luck.