Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New and breaking our needles on my Bailey home quilter >

New and breaking our needles on my Bailey home quilter

New and breaking our needles on my Bailey home quilter

Old 12-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Default New and breaking our needles on my Bailey home quilter

Hello all!! my friend and I are trying to love the new frame and quilter she was given but keep running into issues. Our newest is we only sew a few stitches and the needle breaks. We are using jean needles. Any help to new and frustrated quilters would be awesome!!!
Old 12-14-2014, 10:52 AM

I'm not a long armer, but could it be the tension, the thread, or the speed you are doing? Someone on this board will know the right answer. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Is your bobbin in with the thread running out correctly?
Old 12-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by PIXIE41 View Post
Hello all!! my friend and I are trying to love the new frame and quilter she was given but keep running into issues. Our newest is we only sew a few stitches and the needle breaks. We are using jean needles. Any help to new and frustrated quilters would be awesome!!!
Check your tension and you might want to try a different needle.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

You might want to join the Bailey group on Yahoo:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...gmachines/info

What brand and *size* of needle are you using? Are you sure it is the correct one for the machine? Are you sure it was inserted as far as it will go? If it is not the correct needle or if it was not inserted all the way, it can slip out of place and hit against the foot or another part of the machine. You need to be careful, as a needle breaking can cause the timing of the machine to go out of whack.

I would make sure you are using the correct needle for the machine, that the needle is inserted correctly, and then I would rotate the hand wheel manually and slowly while watching to see what the needle is hitting.

Edit: If the upper tension is too tight and you are using a smaller needle (say, a needle used in a domestic machine), the upper thread can cause the needle tip to bend just enough that it hits the foot. Usually the smallest size needle you want to use on a frame setup is a size 14, and usually a 16 is better.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:40 PM

yes join the Bailey group, mean time take out the bobbin and rotate the hand wheel slowly and watch the needle to see what it may be hitting, if that's all good you may have your backing too tight or you may be moving too fast.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

As kathy mentioned, a common beginner mistake is to roll the quilt too tightly. The rule-of-thumb is that the quilt in the frame should be sufficiently slack that you can poke a finger up from underneath and grab that finger with the other hand.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

If the needle keeps breaking, it is hitting something and you need to find out why. Either moving the quilt at incorrect speed so the needle is being pulled/pushed enough to hit something, the thread coming from the spool is not flowing properly so it is causing the needle to bend, the alignment of the needle and bobbin timing is off.....joining the group for your machine might help.

Last edited by Tartan; 12-14-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:10 PM

I have a juki. It was doing the same thing. I checked tension and everything. Come to find out it was the presser foot.
I was about to throw it out. I noticed the little ring on the foot had marks where the needle had hit it. This is a midarm machine but I would check my foot to make sure the needle isn't hitting it.
Take the foot off. Check to see if the ring moves or if you have any place on the ring that looks as if the needle has hit it. The ring should not move. If it does you will have to fix it. Lock tight fixed mine.

Last edited by Kani; 12-14-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:33 AM

Thanks Ladies!!!! we did figure out that the fabric was to tight.. still having thread problems but I think we are on our way!!