Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bailey's Home Quilter and HQ >

Bailey's Home Quilter and HQ

Bailey's Home Quilter and HQ

Old 04-20-2010, 05:48 PM

We went today and tried out the Bailey's Home Quilter. It got a big :thumbup: from us. We test drove the 13 inch.

I am leaning toward the 17inch because it will give me at least 12 inches of quilting space.

It seemed to be very durable. My concern was that it wouldn't fit on my frame which is less than a year old. (a proflex) It will :D !

I also tried out the HQ16 and there newest model HQ 18 Avante. If I had to choose between these I would have to go with the HQ16 due to a space issue. The Avante comes with a metal frame that is 14 feet. Too big for my room :cry:

Back to the Bailey's Home Quilter, when we purchase I am going to buy the extra set of handles so, I can do Pantos and free motion.

Hubby said he really liked this machine. He played too! I asked about service? Chuck showed me how to clean it and said that most all issues can be resolved by phone. The machine is very basic and all american made.

The only draw back was bobbins must be prewound because the bobbin winder is on the top of the machine. I think he said it was a size 4. In my opinion, a bobbin winder at JoAnns with a coupon would take care of this issue.

Another thing we are planning is to put the frame on furniture sliders so, I can move it out away from the wall when I am using it and push it back when I am not. My frame is 10.5 feet long.

Feel free to ask me anything else I didn't cover.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Wow I'm impressed. Does it have a automatic thread cutter for the bobbin? Channel locks, extension table and a stitch regulator???? Thanks for all input and congratulations.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:47 PM

You can buy the stitch regulator with the machine at time of purchase, or add it later.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:47 PM

You can buy the stitch regulator with the machine at time of purchase, or add it later.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

It sounds wonderful. That is the machine I am dreaming about. Someday maybe. Sigh
Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 PM

I own a plain, unadulterated Bailey 13 which is on a GMQ Pro frame. Great little machine that does exactly what it is meant to do. Quilt!

Bobbins are a standard size (Class 15, I think) but I have never wound one on the Bailey. I stand to quilt, so when I need to wind bobbins I sit down at my 20+ year old New Home and run through about 30 bobbins. I keep plenty wound. Some big quilts will use as many as 10 or more bobbins. Lots of stitching!

Quilting is fun..............
June
Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 PM

I have a 15" Bailey on order, without a stitch regulator.
Maybe will add later on down the line, but trying to keep costs down at present time. Sorry about the double post earlier. I was interrupted and guess I hit the button twice. Interruptions occur frequently here.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:05 AM

Elly,
Thanks so much for reporting to us! Now I know for sure I want a Bailey. I also have the proflex frame and knowing you can use the 17" on it is wonderful. Hmmmmm...now to get my DH to suggest I need it!!
I hope you will post when you get it and give us an update.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:38 AM

I called Chuck and placed my order yesterday for the 17"!!

I am beyond excited!

Here is how Hubby got onboard with this idea. :wink:

When, I am doing a big quilt, I call him to help me advance the quilt. It is easier to do with 2 people because the frame is soo long. This happens every 4.5 inches! So, this helped him understand quilt area.

I know it comes with a needle threader. I will check on a thread cutter today.

Thanks for the suggestion about winding bobbins on my other machine! I didn't think of that. :thumbup:
Old 04-22-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
to me that would be an important thing to have.