Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help choosing a machine... >

Help choosing a machine...

Help choosing a machine...

Old 11-11-2018, 12:25 PM

Thank you all for the feedback and the stories about having to return machines. I feel very confident with purchases from Costco because they've been so good about repairing jewelry I've bought from there. I honestly have never used a decorative stitch but I guess it's nice feeling like you have the option. Oh a dealer, I researched and found a Janome dealer 20 miles from me. The only draw with the demo Elna was the 11 inch harp space. But it's all relative I guess because I sewed a queen quilt on my little Brother cs6000i but now I have to "quilt" it which is a whole separate problem. I haven't gotten into FMQ yet. I'm intimidated.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

I have a straight stitch only Juki TL98QE and Babylock Jane straight stitch only. Believe me I use one or the other everyday. No Mother boards or anything else. Keeping them oiled is not a big deal. They never need service.
I do have other machines (4) in the closet.

Welcome to this board.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Banned

I own the Juki Tl2010Qi I love that machine. I have a Pfaff Creative sensation...I hate it. The first machine that I bought and learned the bulk of my quilting on was a janome memory craft and I love that machine as well. ( Disclaimer I quilt on my longarms...but I do a lot of piecing as well) If you just need a straight stitch machine I would say The Juki. It honestly sews through everything. I also watched a friend of mine quilt several quilts on the same Juki during a retreat and it was amazing.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:41 PM
Banned

Janome owns the Elna name and builds the machines. Check with the dealer you found to see what they have for demo machines/prices.

Cari
Old 11-11-2018, 06:11 PM

My advice is to buy from a dealer who will give you good service and support. Even if you pay more, it will be to your benefit in the long run.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:29 PM

Go to the dealer and test drive different one. Ask her (him) to let you try FMQ on the various Janomes. You would love the 8200 for it's terrific harp space, dreamy FMQ ability, quietness, speed, thread cutter, stitch options. I was about to get a 6600 but my number one "want" was the harp space The 8200 has 11'. No more wrangling bigger quilts.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by hcarpanini View Post
My advice is to buy from a dealer who will give you good service and support. Even if you pay more, it will be to your benefit in the long run.
I agree with this totally. I know that you have confidence in Costco, but are you sure they are going to give you any support if you have problems with your machine? I only paid a bit more for my Juki 2200 QVP Mini from a dealer than I would have online or from a big box type store. I got a guide class and I have someone to go to if I have problems. Also someone to do yearly tune ups on it for me. To me that worth a lot.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:01 AM

I strongly recommend going with a trusted nearby dealer - pays off in the long wrong. Can’t comment on your choice since I am a Viking person - do have a small Janome which I take to classes and like.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:34 AM

I have an Elna 740 that I bought used (it was a trade in machine, actually bought it from a dealer off eBay, who I felt comfortable with after numerous calls/questions). It has been a wonderful machine, not picky with threads, needles, etc. Love the harp space for free motion quilting. I just adore this machine and hope it lasts me a lifetime!

People generally like their Juki straight stitch machines, but I'm a bit sour on Juki right now as I have a new DX5 that has already been replaced once, and the second one is not doing what it should (bought a second machine to use primarily for sewing, and a bit smaller so I can take to quilting meet ups and such). Granted this is a different machine than the straight stitch machine (though it gets high rankings also). I always thought I would have a Juki straight stitch machine, but whenever I tried one at the dealers on different occasions, I never really fell in love with how it felt when free motion quilting. Tension issues at the store that the dealer couldn't seem to adjust, the feeling of the quilt sandwich not moving freely - each time I tried.

Which is why I would highly recommend that if there is any way you can test all of them, definitely do. Machines feel differently, and you want one you like the feel and sound of. What is someone else's cup of tea might not be yours.

All that said, I think from between your 3 choices you will end up with a great machine!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:31 AM

I have a Juki 2010 that I use 7 days a week for 2 years now and I love her! I do a lot of walking foot quilting, I'm still learning FMQ and she does both beautifully. No decorative stitches though, just one stitch done very well. If you don't care about having a speed control look at the Juki 2000 which is identical to the 2010 except no speed control and no pretensioner for thread guiding. I've seen new Juki 2000 machines locally for $500 but they are getting more rare.

The Brother 1500 is a great straight stitcher as well.

Janomes are very good machines and they have a lot of machines out on the market, there is a Janome for everyone, it's what stitches do you want and how much do you want to spend. I love my HD3000, it makes great quilts but I have much better harp space with my Juki.