Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help clearning my iron!! >

Help clearning my iron!!

Help clearning my iron!!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 PM

So my iron gets clogs. I assume it's mineral deposits. When I hit the steam button (for the extra burst) little white sand like pieces come out. Seems like mineral build up. And after awhile, it squirts out this gross brown water liquid stuff, and makes an awful mess. Last time, I ran it under the kitchen sink and poked at it for like 15 minutes, it's been fine for probably a year (not sure exactly what I did). It just did the brown water mess (thankfully only stained my ironing board cover).

So I come onto this site, and search for cleaning an iron. I found the Links and Resources which suggested putting half vinegar and half water in the tank and cleaning on high. I did that and cleaned a lot of stuff out. I and the house also smell like vinegar, lol. But there's still white mineral buildup inside that's coming out. A lot less, but enough I'm not sure about ironing white fabric (which is patiently waiting to get ironed). And if I can avoid it, I'd rather avoid doing the vinegar thing again... stinky!

Other suggestions? It's inside the iron, rather than being the plate, so the Mr Clean pad suggestions won't work.

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:59 PM

All the places I looked say to use vinegar..lol

My iron has a self cleaning mode. Which is great, I fill the reservoir with water turn it on and hold it over the sink and it does its thing.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk

My iron has a self cleaning mode. Which is great, I fill the reservoir with water turn it on and hold it over the sink and it does its thing.
I meant to ask, thank you. My iron has a self cleaning button. I hit it, nothing happens. I hold it down, nothing happens. How do I use that???? And follow up, do I have to have the iron plugged in or does it work when it's off (PS, I didn't learn to iron until I took my 1st quilting class when I was 20 :D )
Old 03-12-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky

I meant to ask, thank you. My iron has a self cleaning button. I hit it, nothing happens. I hold it down, nothing happens. How do I use that???? And follow up, do I have to have the iron plugged in or does it work when it's off (PS, I didn't learn to iron until I took my 1st quilting class when I was 20 :D )
The iron needs to be plugged in and the button or knob set to self cleaning. You set it to self cleaning, fill with water plug in and hold it over the sink. I t will spit and sputter for about a minute then drain the tank, refill and repeat. Then use the iron as usual remember to change the setting from self clean to which ever mode you use, steam or dry heat.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:11 PM

The iron needs to be plugged in and the button or knob set to self cleaning. You set it to self cleaning, fill with water plug in and hold it over the sink. I t will spit and sputter for about a minute then drain the tank, refill and repeat. Then use the iron as usual remember to change the setting from self clean to which ever mode you use, steam or dry heat.
I don't have a self cleaning setting. I have heat settings - cotton, linens, 2 cooler 1s. Then on the iron tank part, not the handle, has a button that says self clean. But no self clean setting. It's a Sunbeam if that means anything.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:17 PM

I don't have a self cleaning setting. I have heat settings - cotton, linens, 2 cooler 1s. Then on the iron tank part, not the handle, has a button that says self clean. But no self clean setting. It's a Sunbeam if that means anything.
Try my instructions and press that button while holding it over the sink. Mine is a Shark...
http://www.macys.com/catalog/product...6-_-77-_-MP677

It's my 1 st "expensive" iron. I know there are ones that cost a lot more but it had some good ratings so I splurged.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:23 PM

I tried that. I put it on the lightest heat setting, and I pressed the clean button and it was sending water straight out, and then steam sputtering, and lots of stuff was coming out. Brown water, which was weird. And more white minerally stuff. Letting it cool, going to clean the plate, and send more through.

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 PM

I tried that. I put it on the lightest heat setting, and I pressed the clean button and it was sending water straight out, and then steam sputtering, and lots of stuff was coming out. Brown water, which was weird. And more white minerally stuff. Letting it cool, going to clean the plate, and send more through.

Thank you!
You are most welcome, glad to be able to help.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 PM

It's Sunbeam Model 4243. Maybe someone can find the manual online... I'm coming up short. I was able to get water to pour out the sides, but not the top part, when I was hitting the clean button.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:37 AM

Sounds like you have a serious buildup inside that iron. Try putting straight white vinegar in it and let it set for several hours. Then turn it on the highest setting. Hold it over the sink and let it splutter away. You may have to repeat this.
Surgical instruments are cleaned this way to remove rust from hinges etc.