Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with creative design? >

Help with creative design?

Help with creative design?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Smile Help with creative design?

Hi all, I am planning to make a quilt to be raffled off, as part of a fundraiser for my DH's National Guard Unit. I plan to include some blocks depicting things that are specific to the unit and to Arizona, e.g., the minuteman, a scorpion, state flag, state flower, state bird, etc. I want this to be a quilt that a person would want to display in their home. You know what I mean, I want it to be pretty. I am picturing random blocks in different sizes with sashing in between and coordinating border. Red, white and blue are the obvious colors of patriotism, but I want this to be used/displayed. So, I am thinking of more neutral colors ... or, maybe it should just have lots of colors?

Because you are all sew creative, I thought I'd see if anyone has made anything like this, (if so, a picture would be fabulous) or if any of you have any suggestions on color, setting, or even a pattern that would lend itself to what I am trying to achieve. Any and all ideas much appreciated. Please let me know your thoughts. I don't even know what size I should make this. Thanks!!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

if you are planning on it to be a wall hanging i would keep it smaller than a twin sized quilt- not everyone has wall space for large (bed sized) quilts
you should start (designing) your blocks- when you have a few blocks done you will be better able to figure out sashing/border/ background colors....red, white & blue may be the (right) colors- but it really depends on the actual focus blocks- what is going to work with them. show us pictures as you begin to create the (sampler) blocks- and after we see a few of them we will have all kinds of suggestions for pulling it all together
Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 PM

I'd stick with the RW&B color scheme. It's appropriate for the National Guard. One of the neatest quilts hanging in the local art gallery right now is a Texas quilt. Each block has the shape of the state in the background with a Texas thing embroidered over it. She has an armadillo, boot, hat, state bird, state flower, the Alamo, etc and it's just cool.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Banned

If you are expecting only the National Guard and friends to purchase tickets then a design specific to that organization is appropriate. However, if you want to expand the ticket sales then think about a more generic quilt design. Then there is always the possibility that if someone not affiiated with the National Guard should win it they will donate it back to the organization to display in their building.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM

My feeling is that if you expect someone to have the quilt in their home, then RW&B are very difficult colors to use as decorations. If you expect the quilt to be given back to the organization to hang in the headquarters bldg or someplace then RW&B are perfect. It is my opinion that if a person wasn't hanging a quilt, they would have an oil painting. Few people have RW&B oil paintings as they aren't compatible with many decorating colors. Are you thinking this will hang over someone's bed? fireplace? sofa? use as a drape over a patio window? Where you expect this to be used should dictate the size and the colors.

Last edited by TanyaL; 01-14-2012 at 05:51 PM.