Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Darning Foot >

Help with Darning Foot

Help with Darning Foot

Old 03-12-2011, 05:39 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
dove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,568
Default

I have a Pfaff expression 2 and I am trying to teach myself how to FMQ, but when I attach the darning foot and drop the feed dogs, there is no space between the foot and the material to allow movement of the material. Does anyone have any idea of what I am doing wrong? Any help is appreciated-thank you :-)
dove is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
quiltmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In Hiding
Posts: 1,210
Default

There should be a middle position on your needle up/down lever. For darning/free motion you need to use the middle position. You have the ablility to lower the needle and then raise the needle lever and then if you look you have a middle position also which is what you should be using. That's how is works on my 7570 so hopefully it is the same way on your expression 2. If you have a manual look up darning and it should explain how to do this properly.

Hope this helps....
quiltmaker is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
quilter1943's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edgewater, FL
Posts: 924
Default

My Pfaff is older than yours so not sure if it's the same, but you go into the screen for darning and the computer resets the height of the foot. Look in your book - it may not be under free motion quilting, it may be under darning which is the same set up.
quilter1943 is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 05:57 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,190
Default

I agree with Quiltmaker. You have to find the 'sweet spot' for the presser foot. And my Pfaff manual wasn't very clear. As you slowly lower the presser foot, gently push the presser foot lever to the back. It should click into a spot about halfway down. (These are the directions for my Pfaff 2027.
quilt1950 is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 05:57 AM
  #5  
Super Member
 
BeeNana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: behind the sewing needle
Posts: 3,302
Default

Dove
I hope that I am not going to confuse you. First I would call a Pfaff dealer.
I have a QE 4. The owner manual leaves a lot to be desired.
For the 3.0 and 2.0 machines on page 3:7

"To engage the free-motion position, move the presser foot lift up and push the switch (A), on the underside of the lift, towards you until it snaps into place. Release the lift and it will be set in the free-motion position.
To disengage the position push the lift slightly upwards and switch (A) away from you until it snaps into place."

Let us know what you find out and if this is the answer to your problem. I wish I could be of more help.
BeeNana is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ridgefield WA
Posts: 7,504
Default

Sure glad you asked this! I have the 3.0 and felt the little lever on the underside of the "lifter". There is something in the manual about "pivot height" for the 4.0. Oh, look on page 3:7 for "free-motion position" That BeeNana just gave.
Kitsie is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 09:11 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
BeeNana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: behind the sewing needle
Posts: 3,302
Default

Now you ladies have gotten me going......I will have to dig out my other old Pfaff and see what that one says.
I am so happy that there were replies to this post. I have felt lost at times with this machine. Maybe we should make a post for 'calling all Pfaff owners'
I sure will come back if I have a questions of my own. I could not find an active group with yahoo concerning the QE machines.
Thanks and I have bookmarked this for myself!

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Sure glad you asked this! I have the 3.0 and felt the little lever on the underside of the "lifter". There is something in the manual about "pivot height" for the 4.0. Oh, look on page 3:7 for "free-motion position" That BeeNana just gave.
BeeNana is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 12:08 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ridgefield WA
Posts: 7,504
Default

Originally Posted by BeeNana
Now you ladies have gotten me going......I will have to dig out my other old Pfaff and see what that one says.
I am so happy that there were replies to this post. I have felt lost at times with this machine. Maybe we should make a post for 'calling all Pfaff owners'
I sure will come back if I have a questions of my own. I could not find an active group with yahoo concerning the QE machines.
Thanks and I have bookmarked this for myself!

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Sure glad you asked this! I have the 3.0 and felt the little lever on the underside of the "lifter". There is something in the manual about "pivot height" for the 4.0. Oh, look on page 3:7 for "free-motion position" That BeeNana just gave.
Know what you mean, Nana (I'm a Nana, too) Did not find the Pfaff site (not on the serial # plate) on Yahoo useful at all. Wanted to find out when my old 1196 was made and even PfaffUSA couldn't answer that! Guess we'll have to be our own support group!
Kitsie is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 03:34 PM
  #9  
Power Poster
 
Sadiemae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,375
Default

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
There should be a middle position on your needle up/down lever. For darning/free motion you need to use the middle position. You have the ablility to lower the needle and then raise the needle lever and then if you look you have a middle position also which is what you should be using. That's how is works on my 7570 so hopefully it is the same way on your expression 2. If you have a manual look up darning and it should explain how to do this properly.

Hope this helps....
Mine does this also.
Sadiemae is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
littlelambseativy
Main
3
12-06-2010 08:23 AM
stefanib123
Main
8
08-13-2010 05:07 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.