Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help designing my four patch quilt >

Help designing my four patch quilt

Help designing my four patch quilt

Old 04-24-2015, 06:38 PM

Default Help designing my four patch quilt

This is a picture of a four patch quilt I am designing to make my grandson. I have nine different fabric patterns. Is there a pattern or rule of thumb of how you put the squares together, using all fabrics equally, yet not in the same pattern? Does that make sense?

I appreciate any suggestions!

BTW, the white area won't be white, but a buff color that will match the plaid flannel backing.
Attached Thumbnails jj-quilt.png  
Old 04-24-2015, 06:55 PM

I don't think there is any kind of formula....just put them where you want them! Your fabrics look great! I like them where they are.

Dina
Old 04-24-2015, 07:15 PM

Thanks, Dina! The one patch that is four squares sewn together are free swatches from Restoration Hardware's baseball bedding they are selling. I could order a limited number and my daughter ordered some, which gave me enough to put in the quilt. Another patch has JJ's name in it. That is from Zazzle, they custom design your fabric choice. The backing will be a plaid flannel sheet blanket.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I think it looks fine as it is. If you wanted a larger quilt, I would set them on point with triangles on each side using two different color fabrics. That just makes what looks like a quarter pieced triangles. I am sure that your grandson is going to just enjoy growing up with the quilt.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:53 AM

Like Dina, I think you just place them so they are pleasing to your eye. I usually lay all mine out and move them around so that the fabrics/pattern seems well dispersed and no one color/pattern is grouped together to make it look lopsided. Alternatively, you can pick a repeating order and just follow that throughout.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

it's your quilt, put them where you like, it looks good now,
have fun doing it.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:26 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518041[/ATTACH]This just my third quilt, so I'm new to the quilt talk, so I can't visualize your suggestion. Can you send me a picture of what you are talking about?

I haven't had any lessons or belong to a quilt club. I just study the internet until I find a quilt I like (see picture example), then I design my own on Powerpoint on my computer based on the inspiration quilt. When I need to learn something, I watch tutorials.

I like to put a unique touch to it, like the free swatches and the personalized quilt block. The label on the quilt will have an art drawing of my grandson designed by my grandaughter (his cousin). Hopefully, something he will enjoy for a lifetime, like you said!
Attached Thumbnails jj-quilt-inspiration.png  

Last edited by Janan; 04-25-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:13 AM

Your idea looks good. You say you just look at pics, internet and tutes for ideas. I sincerely think a good quilt book or two would also be a good investment. Perhaps the idea you have floating around in your head, but can't quite figure out on paper and then translate into fabric, has a basic formula that can be found in the right book.....if you don't want to purchase, there is the library ad a source........just an idea....
Old 04-26-2015, 07:58 PM

Thank you, Geri

i just assumed I would be overwhelmed with ideas i will never want to do. i just want to make each grandchild a quilt to treasure when i am gone. i attached my grandaughters quilt, showcasing her art. I'm not very good with binding and need to learn more about size of stitches and tension.

But you did make me realize i could learn some things easier with a good book for beginners. will get. sorry for bad typing. I'm holding my sleeping kitten in my left arm and loving it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518102[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scout-quilt.jpg