Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!! feed dogs just stopped working - any ideas? >

Help!! feed dogs just stopped working - any ideas?

Help!! feed dogs just stopped working - any ideas?

Old 11-30-2009, 01:56 PM
joy

I wanted to try some stippling... do you think I could use the walking foot? What do people use for other quilting?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

The walking foot only works in a forward motion...maybe reverse on some machines...(some have said it ruined theirs)
So I don't think it would work for stippling, you need to be able to move the fabric around and the walking foot helps to hold it in place ;)
Old 11-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joy
Thank you for replying mytwopals... well, what is the purpose of this walking foot then?
The walking foot helps to hold the multi layers of fabric and batting together while sewing, eliminating puckers in the fabrics. It feeds from the top while the feed dogs feed from the bottom, so it all goes smoothly under the presser foot.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joy
I wanted to try some stippling... do you think I could use the walking foot? What do people use for other quilting?
You would not use a walking foot for stippling. You need to do stippling with free motion -- i.e., a hopping darning foot. Some quilters leave the feed dogs up but most drop the feed dogs for free motion; try it both ways to see what works best for you.

You can quilt using a walking foot, but only straight lines or large curving lines. For this type of quilting, you start at one end of the quilt and end at the other side.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
joy

I have a "thing" that you place over the feed dogs... so I put on a darning foot and hope for the best !!!!!!!!! I believe you go slowly with your foot and guide the material around with your hands... also put the stitch length on wider... so that should do it hopefully... will let you know how I get on next week... I have a sewing table in one of the bedrooms, but have also bought one that folds and also holds the machine down lower... have been sewing on the table in the dining room and getting a sore back and shoulders... enough to put you off sewing forever actually... so next week it will be all go !!!