Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!! First quilt >

Help!!! First quilt

Help!!! First quilt

Old 01-28-2021, 03:59 AM

Congrats on your first quilt. I agree with all the others to leave as is. The binding will cover it up. As my friend would say....if you can't see it from a 90 mile an hour galloping horse, don't worry about it. We are our worst critic whether it's the first quilt or any project there after!! Congrats again!
Old 01-28-2021, 04:00 AM

I just make sure my batting and backing piece sticks out past the top piece. After quilting, then I trim the batting and back. I bind differently, I think. I made a binding tutorial.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:12 AM

Congratulations on your first finish...I hope you can post a photo to share. I would say you’ve done quite well on your first project if you are only off a half inch from one side to another.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

I do not square up my quilts. a half inch will never be noticed.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:28 AM

Welcome to the QB and congratulations on your first quilt!! It sounds like you are so close I would just leave it as it is. Trying to even it out at this point may cause more damage that trying to fix it. I recently pulled out my 1st patchwork quilt and I didn't even know to square it up and it is so far off I have to laugh. Be proud of your workmanship. Quilting is 'fun' and there are no quilt police, not here anyway. Again welcome to the QB and the wonderful world of quilting.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:34 AM

umm...if it is a bed quilt or one meant to be used...just fine....my feet aren't exactly the same size either and nobody is going to notice when draped on a bed or person and it will be just as warm...don't sweat the small stuff! I quilt because it is fun...and while I strive to do a decent and useful job....I am not going to worry about being perfect....cuz then it will not be fun anymore and nobody is paying me for a perfect job....not much quality control around here. My bottom lines are. 1. is it useful 2. will it survive in a washing machine and dryer....if my quilts meet that criteria...they are good to go.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:47 AM

I'm wondering with the size given, is this to be a wall hanging? If it is a quilt, no biggie, but if you are wanting to hang the piece you might want to take the extra step to square it up.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:09 PM

I tend to treat my quilts like I treat a pie crust. Still eats the same, so why cut it off?