Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with fixing error >

Help with fixing error

Help with fixing error

Old 02-12-2018, 07:52 AM

Couple things - you did great! Part of the problem is that you have worked on it and worked on it and worked on it and you are getting frustrated. Step back, take a breath and then go back. You are probably going to be the only one who notices it unless you point it out. Also, if you use a high loft batting, it will almost disappear with the quilting. If you do your quilting in a brown thread with a wavy line down the sashing (fairly easy for a beginner) the eye will be drawn to it and I will almost guarantee no one will see the VERY SLIGHT tilt. And, if you find a quilter who says they never goofed - well, you just won't!
Old 02-12-2018, 02:35 PM

I would just leave it also. I also like the ideas of appliqueing a star or horse shoe, etc., on the corner.

But, as a proud Texan, I think it is wonderful as it is!
Old 02-12-2018, 05:50 PM

I agree withDolphyngirl...quilting would hide it.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:39 PM

Given that they are such small squares, compared to their neighbors, i really don't think it'll be noticeable to a regular old normal person looking at it. You are another story, of course, because you know the true, unadulterated story of the actual real live human being who mafe it. So, here's what I think you should do. To the quilt- nothing. Keep going with the rest, quilt it, wash it, etc. To your head- here's what I want you to do: Ask yourself what you would think of that quilt if the sweetest, nicest woman you know made it. Somone you really, really love and want nothing but the best of times and the happiest life possible. Your best friend, your daughter or your mom- pick your favorite. How would you want her to feel about that quilt. Would you want her to be proud of all her hard work, proud of her design, and happy that her husband thinks its just great and that she's such a wonderful gal for gping to all that work for him? Or would you want her to be thinking she didn't do a wonderful job, and be bummed when she saw it, obsessing over one square that's just a teensy bit out of line. Choose how you'd want her to be treated, and then do that to yourself, because that's what she'd want for you. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what we all want for you. I know I do.
I'm a recovering obsessive perfectionist, join me anytime you wish. XXOO Patti
Old 02-13-2018, 05:40 AM

Good advice, Patti. I realized years ago that I could never do a perfect job on a quilt, so I don't obcess about it now. I do the best I can and move on. My Gd's love what I do, do done is done.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:21 AM

Yeah, everyone is right. I am too hard on myself. That's a recurring theme - trying to make anything I do be perfect. Anyway, personal shortcomings aside, I "fixed" the square. It didn't take 20 minutes. I just ripped out that square and a couple of inches each way and replaced the square with one that was almost straight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588976[/ATTACH]

I re-checked the other 10 little blocks and, including the saddle, 5 were off enough to notice. Tartan was right, they are printed wrong. Or, I distorted them when I pressed them. Also, I went back on added additional little seams to make sure none of white showed around the photo, so that may have added to the problem. I'm going to re-do them the best I can by blocking them as square as I can and re-sashing them. Then, I'm also taking a couple of days off from it. I get to volunteer today and tomorrow, teaching the kids to quilt.

Thanks again for your help.

bkay
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1635a.jpg  
Old 02-13-2018, 07:28 PM

I agree, that once quilted, that won't be so obvious. I wouldn't touch it. Leave as is. Nice quilt, btw.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Actually, I didn't have a pattern. I had a photo. The LQS that made the prototype was out of business. So, I just made it up with lots of help form QB forum members. I could not do it without all the assistance I received.

bkay
Sorry you have been frustrated but it seems like you are tackling it. When using panels we wish we could trust the grain but it's often off grain a bit and distorts the edges we hoped were straight. Your piecing is really nice.